Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today whilst searching online, I stumbled across a very interesting concept. A turbocharger that actually changes it's turbine angle to allow for boost to be made at lower RPMs and then adjust as exhaust flow increases so you don't overspin it. This, infact, could essentially eliminate a wastegate I would think.

Here's what wikipedia had to say on the subject:

Variable geometry turbochargers (VGTs) are a family of turbochargers, usually designed to allow the effective A/R ratio of the turbo to be altered as conditions change. This is done because optimum A/R at low engine speeds is very different from that at high engine speeds. If the A/R ratio is too large, the turbo will fail to create boost at low speeds; if the A/R ratio is too small, the turbo will choke the engine at high speeds, leading to large exhaust manifold pressures, high pumping losses and ultimately lower power output. By altering the geometry of the turbine housing as the engine accelerates, the turbo's A/R ratio can be maintained at its optimum. Because of this, VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold and are very efficient at higher engine speeds. In many configurations, VGTs do not even require a wastegate, however this depends on whether the fully open position is sufficiently open to allow boost to be controlled to the desired level at all times. Some VGT implementations have been known to over-boost if a wastegate is not fitted.

Here's a little visual of how it works ---->

After doing a little bit more research I found that Garret had a series of these but they were used for diesel applications. According to wikipedia there's only been 2 cars that had these come on them stock, the 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT equipped with a 2.2L petrol engine & the 2006 Porsche 911 Turbo.

I don't know about you guys but if this could be utilized to use on a D to give you that much wider of a power band that'd be amazing.

Has anyone else ever heard of this technology or have anything to add??

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I think its been used on a Miata before, if you ever happen to pick up the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell you find an article in there about the VATN turbo (aerocharger i think). Cummins developed a VATN style turbo for their stuff under the name Holset. They call it a VGT actuator system.

Its still new on the market so it will be still pricey for the average cost conscious d-series goer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yea AKA Varible Vane Turbo.....also came on the latest Ford Diesel trucks acura RDX and on the new GM Duramax Diesel trucks, not to mention duramax diesel motors are built by Isuzu....fucking bad ass shit....im sure pretty soon they will make kits with these turbos....they arnt wastegated, all electronic soo it should be pretty interesting!:thehump:

·
yellow bar for me
3,572 Posts
i just saw some pretty cool stuff on american muscle car on speed channel. it was showing some of these variable turbos.

·
Registered
427 Posts
on Spike TV's Extreme 4x4 they built a "subrubun gorilla" (sp) weird looking imitation hummer if you ask me...anyway....they put 2 of these (garretts) on the engine

made well over 500hp i think

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
the new GM Duramax Diesel trucks, not to mention duramax diesel motors are built by Isuzu....
2005+ duramax trunks. Isuzu = GM, tested in the Isuzu before making it to the "GM/Chevy" stuff, just in case it did not work out witht the aluminum (sp?) block. you can find them off of sled pulling trucks for ~$300.

<- edit;you can see the back end of my roommates duramax in my avatar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts