Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a tool out there that can check if you have a bent valve, or is that something that you can visibly see

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you have some basic machine shop tools you can determine if the valve is bent by measuring. Straight edge, caliper, ruler. I don't think you can easily see what you would like with the naked untrained eye.

I think what you're looking for is some guidance on how to determine if your valves are bad? Maybe you can check out a book at the library on cylinder head machining.

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
ok here is what u do take the head off the car.
take the rocker ass. and cam off.
tip it on it side and fill the ports with Paint tinner or brake clean and if it poors out where the valve seals to the seat is bent. if it is slowly driping out it probly need to be cleaned and relaped in.

pm me and i can give u a step by step on with pics or a vid. good luck bro.

RC

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
or, as a preliminary check, leaving the head on...

Take the rocker assembly off. Hold straightedge to the tips of the valves. those that are bent will sit "lower". Of course, if you've bent them all, they'd pretty much line up, anyway. Another way is a compression test. Run one of those, or a leakdown test. These will tell you the relative health of the motor. Have fun!
-josh-

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sorry i forgot to mention im working on this head it is on my desk right now and bolted. i dont know if to take it to a machine shop for inspection and cleaning or work on it myself. i have a minute idea on lapping i would like for you to show me drag4life723 i could try practicing on my 8 valve head when i swap it out, anyways i also have a a6 that needs to be installed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh wow i must of clicked on as you posted up, its says needs a few minutes video is being optimized

1 - 13 of 13 Posts