Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone successfully used a valve spring micrometer on a D series head? I am soon to do a mild head build and wanna install the valve springs at the correct installed height. Some brief research tells me that they don't fit B series heads as they're too tight.

Is it the same with D series as they're not particularly spacious around the springs either. I am mainly interested in D16a6/Pm3 heads as that's what i am building.

This is the tool in question

Regards,

Lee

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Thats fucking awesome, i didnt even know those existed. I need one of those in my life.

As far as i know, nobody has one of those that would fit a honda head, why not just do it with a dial indicator?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
VSIH gauge, nothing new.

Google search took me back to 2004 posts on Honda-Tech...when there was tech!

"WDBU" is my quest.....What Does Blake Use?

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Not sure if anyone builds a height gauge specific to the 4v stuff.

I was just looking for something this week and even guys on speedtalk are looking for one so I assume something in a considerably smaller diameter doesn't exist.

What I am planning on doing is turning a piece of 1" stock with a through hole in it to ~1.750", putting that in place of the spring, and then putting a dial indicator on the valve stem tip to measure the distance from valve on the seat to the retainer touching the spacer

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it safe to say no to it fitting then?

I'm not aware of the dial indicator way, i shall google it. Seemed like a handy tool for the price though, i class tools as investment so if something is gunna save me time, make my life easier or perform better i generally go for it if its practically priced.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
I'd have an incredibly hard time believing the commonly available height gauges out there would fit on the valves that have the spark plug boss in-between them be it the early model intakes or later model exhausts.

The opposite side should be do-able

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've emailed pro form request on the OD of the gauge. I may be the Guinea pig on this one though and get one anyway. It will be something useful for future builds.

·
Registered
EG hatch x2
11 Posts
I've emailed pro form request on the OD of the gauge. I may be the Guinea pig on this one though and get one anyway. It will be something useful for future builds.
I actually have the pro form tools. They are huge, they don't make one that fits 4 valve engines. I have one in my tool box I bought thinking it would work for mitz 4g engines and it's WAY to big. I would love to know who makes one. I am half tempted to try to make one on the lathe some day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers gents, i'm likely to by one anyway as i have a 8v volvo that needs some head work sooner or later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts