Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a gift card $50 at sears. any recommendations for valve spring compressor? thanks

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
I did my valve spring install with the one from sears. Had to modify it a little tho. Its kind of a pain in the ass tho around the spark plug tubes. If I could I would go make and try to just make one like they have for the DOHCs. Its just a bar that is bolted to te head and a lever pushed down on the springs, much easier.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
If I could I would go make and try to just make one like they have for the DOHCs. Its just a bar that is bolted to te head and a lever pushed down on the springs, much easier.
x2

Much easier for any OHC head. It did mine easily as well as all the modular heads we get in. It is bascially two L plates that point "up" that attach to the ends of the head and a rod connects them at the top through several different sets of holes on the plates. Then there is a handle that pivots on the rod, push down on the retainer to pull the locks out.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I did the exact same thing bud... I got a $30 gift card and got me engine building supplies. Got the overhead compressor (you'll have to bend the ends to fit on the retainers properly), piston ring compressor, snap ring wrench, and something else... The compressor will work; but a word of advice, use something to wrap around the unit itself while it's held onto the spring. You don't want it to come off during install or something and damage a part/lose a part/etc...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

this one wortk?

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
didnt work for me., i use a socket and hammer
I did that to take them off(hammer and socket), but I was able to make that one work. Just pinched the top 2 arms in and grinded off some of the bottom hooks so they would slide in the springs.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
the kd 380 is something like what my machine shop uses, but theirs is air powered

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Saw a thread on H-T the guy used zip ties. Looked like it worked pretty well. If the head is not on the car.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Reactions: myHonda1

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
good info.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Thought it may help some folks out. Not a bad idea at all. Might have to try it out on the head I am putting together now. Just have to bolt down my vice in my garage first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i guess i will be getting the above craftsman tool and some good size zip ties and some nylon rope. thanks and if there are any more ideas or input, post it up here.

b

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the Omniman video for christmas and just got some time to watch it the other day. Omniman used a universal valve spring compressor from snap-on or mac. He said you maybe be able to get one a your local auto parts store, but I haven't looked for one yet. It worked great and took him no time at all. I have used the big C clamp style and three b series heads now and it is still tough at times. Plus, you have to have the head off the block to use them. The one Omniman used, you could leave the head on. If you plan on doing alot of heads I would get one like Omniman's. If not I would just rent one a your local autoparts store. or try the zip ties.
here is a pic of the two valve spring compressors I mentioned from mac's web site.
Omniman's

C clamp style

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did that to take them off(hammer and socket), but I was able to make that one work. Just pinched the top 2 arms in and grinded off some of the bottom hooks so they would slide in the springs.
Yeah i did that......... with the rental from Autozone. I hated that thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts