Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got the spring compressor from advance the other day go to try to take apart the head and i realize it doesnt fit on the retainer, WTF? The piece in the middle with the 2 tabs that bend inward is to wide and doesn't fit. Anyone else have this problem with theirs? Idk what to do i need to get it apart and i tried bending them they just bend right back

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see idk what to do to mod it, i cant get the tabs to bend in they just bend right back to the original size

·
Registered
ex-g (canadian)
624 Posts
i built 2 head like that and i'm going for a third one next week when i have time

you need a vices

and you need 2 or 3 small tie rap (2 if they are strong enough)

so you compress the spring... tie them (you might need to put the tie rap before you compresse the spring and don't put them on the first coil cause you nedd place to put the retainer)
you install in the head, you put the retainer and the 2 c-clips... then you take a torch to melt the tie rap and bam!!! it's installed!

wear glasses please (even though it always worked for me)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that would work if the springs were off the head but i need to get them off the head first

·
Registered
ex-g (canadian)
624 Posts
to remove them it's a lot simplier

take a socket (as big as the spring)... and with a hammer, give a good wack on socket which is on the retainer... the c-clip will fly in the socket. Then you take the retainer with the c-clip... and the spring is free

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm ill have to give that try than, thanks

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is it at, cuz a search is turning up nothing for me but a bunch of people asking what springs to use

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts

take a socket (as big as the spring)... and with a hammer, give a good wack on socket which is on the retainer... the c-clip will fly in the socket. Then you take the retainer with the c-clip... and the spring is free
I do the same thing 4 heads and haven't lost anything yet. Came close though LOL those fuckers can shoot out. Is the head off the car.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
I too use that Socket Method with a Hammer. Just make sure you cover it with your Whole Hand because the Retainers will Fly out and you don't want that.

I have this one. See how it's still kinda Wide? Just hammer the sides in so it can close more that way the Spring wont slip off.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
I bought one from advance. Took it apart and squeezed down the head in a vise. It worked just fine. I did have the medium sized one not the larger one for V8s

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
if you are just taking valve springs out...use a pair of pliers, open them up some on retainer, push. come out easy as cake.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

this worked very well springs are now off the head

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
My Craftsmen OHV spring compressor came out of the pkg the same way...but took some pliers to them and bent them in and haven't had any issues since.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
see i tired bending them but they just bend right back idk what its made of but damn

1 - 20 of 42 Posts