Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a sohc head that has the spring up top and easy to get to you can use just about any valve spring compressor with ease. If you have a dohc head the valve springs are deep down and you need an attachment and it can get expensive. I'm not responsible if you get hurt making this or causes damage to anything, okay that takes care of that. Here is a valve spring compressor for $0

-Get an old socket you don't care about, cut a nice slot in it (you can take you time and make it look good, but I didn't care). I used an air cut-off tool, make the opening big enough to get your fingers in. I cut about 200degrees out of it, and about 1/2" vertically. Make sure the socket is big, but small enough to still fit the retainers.

-Next get a C-clamp, I had a few lying around. Put the socket on the retainer, and put the clamp on with the threaded end on top of the head and the fixed end on the valve. Use some rags on the head so you don't scratch it up. Make sure the clamp is on the valve you are taking the spring off. Make sure the opening is facing outward so you can reach in easily. Tighten the clamp until you can get the keepers off. The socket will want to spin and make it hard to stay on the retainer, so hold it with your finger. Then just loosen and that is it, do the same to install. :bigok: There you go, why pay for something when you can have it for free?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
I have always found the best tools are the ones that get made as you need them...I've got a great little ex-chisel that is perfect for prying up the staked lip of a Honda axle nut...never use it for anything but that, but it is perfect.

I'd rep you but apparently I've been leg humping you too much already and must now spread the love around. Sorry bout your pant leg.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. You can't have the bottom of the clamp on the table it's has to be on the valve or else when you compress the valve will go down with it. I used a bunch of rags to protect it and it was fine. A valve spring isn't much pressure, it's not like you are using a press. The only O2 sensor sockets I have just have a little slot cut into it, but not like this. Yeah whatever you got make it work. I've used it on about 4 or 5 heads with great results. Make tools, don't buy them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
good idea, probably a more effective solution than the universal spring compressor I bought from Harbor Freight. Even after modification the HF compressor is a joke for such small valves!

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good idea, probably a more effective solution than the universal spring compressor I bought from Harbor Freight. Even after modification the HF compressor is a joke for such small valves!
Yeah I had one of those, they don't work with the DOHC heads worth :ssst:

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
weld socket to c-clamp. Winnar. (or braze, same difference)

I do have to note though, this may actually work better than my 15$ sears compressor, i could use the same adapter in it and make the work about 10x faster/easier.

Good fabbing in a pinch though.

most of the time for removing keepers i simply use a 19mm socket and a rag with a hammer. Put the head on a peice of cardboard or rubber, then put the rag inside/around the socket and give the retainer a good quick "tap" they should pop right off or atleast jar them loose. If they are really really gummed up you may have to hit it a couple times.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
good idea, or this craftsman for $16.99 I love mine...

They don't work on the DOHC head as the springs are in a deep pocket and the shoulder of the bit that bears on the retainer hits the head casting before the spring compresses enough.

I made something out of waterpipe, but it's fragile. A long series socket or better a long series impact wrench socket and a small magnet on a stick and several varieties of long nose pliers should solve all potential problems.

The clamp also needs to bear directly on the chamber side of the head of the valve in my opinion. A brass dolly shaped to fit a valve head and brazed to the g clamp or to a lever action small cheap valve spring compressor. The cut out socket could be brazed to the other end.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
weld socket to c-clamp. Winnar. (or braze, same difference)

I do have to note though, this may actually work better than my 15$ sears compressor, i could use the same adapter in it and make the work about 10x faster/easier.

Good fabbing in a pinch though.

most of the time for removing keepers i simply use a 19mm socket and a rag with a hammer. Put the head on a peice of cardboard or rubber, then put the rag inside/around the socket and give the retainer a good quick "tap" they should pop right off or atleast jar them loose. If they are really really gummed up you may have to hit it a couple times.
If the socket is welded to the c-clamp it will want to spin as you tighten it down even more. If it's just sitting on there the socket will stay still mostly, also then you don't ruin a good c-clamp. You can do the old socket trick to remove them, but how do you plan to get them on? You will have to make something like I did or buy something.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I find that loose stacks tend to spit out and damage things, like head castings and my fingers.

It is entirely possible to use a cheap valve spring compressor in place of the G clamp, or weld a 1/2" dia round rod to the G clamp and slip the socket over the spike so it spins. Same deal on the valve end. A 1/2" round rod and a 1/2" hole in the dolly, with some clearance of course to allow it to spin freely even under load.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts