Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am starting to pull a spare d16z6 apart and doing a number of upgrades.

My question would be is it possible for someone to be able to remove and install the valve seals and guides? if so is there a write up? if not then and there's a chance in ruining the head I will just take it in to get that done.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
use viton seals!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a machinist and I do this kind of work for a living. Honda valve seals are by far the most difficult seals to remove compared to any cylinder head I have worked on. And I have worked on heads ranging anywhere from chevrolet to mercedes to porsche. They are not diffcult to replace by any means. A simple valve seal puller and a lot of pulling will get them off. Certain honda heads you can actually pry them off with a small pry bar enough to make it much easier to remove them. And even in some cases, you can use a torch and burn them off. But this is a last resort, and don't hold the flame on the seals for very long at all.

As far as the guides go, I would def. recommend taking it to a machine to have done. Honda guides are the most difficult to replace. According to honda you are supposed to heat the head up on a hot plate before you drive out the guides. This is because they are in so tightly that you risk cracking the head if you dont heat it. And then when you install them you must put the new guides in the freezer for some time to "shrink" them.

Most likely you will only need to replace the exhaust guides rather than both sides. Hondas are known for wearing out the exhaust guides. If you are having a shop do this you are probably looking at around $100.00 just for replacing the guides.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Interesting comments from a professional. I'm not a professional but I've replaced the seals on about 5 heads, one of them being a Toyota and the rest Honda. I've had no trouble removing the seals. I just grab them with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull them off - no big deal.

I strongly agree with the comments regarding the valve guides. If you heat up the head to much you also risk having the seats drop out!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I've had no trouble removing the seals. I just grab them with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull them off - no big deal.
ditto on that. not even a week ago i used some needle-nose pliers to remove the seals on the y8 head i am building up. as for the guides, i am checking into doing this myself and having it done at a a machine shop, of course i have free access to a machine shop, so its no biggie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts