Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search to no avail, so i ask thee for assistance. i have a b18a1 engine and i bent some valves. hopefully in a couple of weeks i'm taking the head to a machine shop to get it fixed. while i'm at it i'm gonna ask for a 40thou mill, install valve seals and a 3 angle valve job. now here is the question. i also want to hone the valves, but i've heard mixed comments about it. some say it helps the combustion process, and some say that valve hone hurts the valves making them more susceptible to burning and committing epic fail. what's your point? should i ask for valve hone or not, and why? discuss.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Are you talking about swirl polishing valves or what? Not sure the correct term was used here or not...never hear of valve honing.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If your talking about lapping them, do it. It beds the valves to the seats so they seal completely whey you fire the motor up the first time. I'm sure whoever does the head probebly will, but ask to be safe.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm translating from the spanish word 'esmerilar', which is polishing or honing the valves. not sure if i used the correct translation though.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Sounds like your talking about grinding the valve face. As long as there's enough valve margin left it's fine, if not you have to replace the valve. Let the machinist determine if it's safe, or you can just replace all the valves if you think there questionable.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it's like resurfacing? thanks for your help, dweezil.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No problem, and that's exactaly what it is.

Valves in high milage or abused motors tend to wear at the point of contact with the seat and it wears a groove into the valve. In order for it to seal properly you need to resurface the face, the only problem is sometimes it's worn too much to be used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts