Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'90 Honda Civic Si..
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm admittedly new at this. I was wondering if the valve cover from my D16a6 would still fit if I swapped a D16z6 head onto the block. I'm also wondering what else might give away the fact that I have a different head on the engine... I suppose I'm asking how to keep it stealth under the hood. Thanks for any help, answers both short and long are appreciated.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Nope, won't work. Spark plugs are on the other side of the engine(VTEC towards front of car, non-VTEC is towards cabin...only exception is Y7 IIRC).

·
Registered
166 Posts
just get a valvecover that doesn't say vtec, there's a lot of them out there such as the y8, y7, and some z6 valvecover doesn't have the vtec badge on it.

anyhow, just by not having a vtec valvecover would probably not fool anyone on this board, i'm pretty sure that they're pretty good at IDing d-series motors.

·
Registered
'90 Honda Civic Si..
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyhow, just by not having a vtec valvecover would probably not fool anyone on this board, i'm pretty sure that they're pretty good at IDing d-series motors.

I'm not looking to fool anyone on this board unless they happen to want to pull me over and check what's under the hood of my car. I'm more worried about going to have the thing smogged or getting stopped. But thanks for the heads up, I wont try to fool everyone here.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't think a cop can write you a ticket for your valve cover saying VTEC.

·
Registered
'90 Honda Civic Si..
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think a cop can write you a ticket for your valve cover saying VTEC.
Saying VTEC on the valve cover wouldn't get me a ticket... at least I don't think it would, but it might get them asking more questions, and looking a little closer at what else might be under there.

I'm not out racing people on the streets or anything. I just want the peace of mind that if I get pulled over I wont have any issues. I also understand that the easiest way to do that is to keep my stock engine, I was just wondering if it's possible to keep a z6 or y8 head looking "stock" under the hood.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well if you buy a blank valve cover you should be fine. They have them on eBay all the time. The only way someone will know you did a head swap is if they look REALLY close, Like at the engine code on the block and if they are familiar with Hondas.

·
Registered
166 Posts
most cops wont be able to tell.

if they look at your block and it says d16a6, and they see that you have a vtec solenoid, and if they can tell that it's a mini me, then they are one HELL of a cop!

IMO the only way a cop can tell if your car has been modified is if you have shiny things under your hood, like an aftermarket intake, headers, msd, or something like that.

just use a stock valvecover, any that fit will do, regardless of it saying Honda or vtec. many hondas have vtec, it comes OEM so what can they say about that!?

dont worry about smog, i have a b2/z6 mini me and i passed smog in CA! as long as it's running good and it's not a gross polluter then it should pass.

·
Registered
'90 Honda Civic Si..
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet, good to know. Are there codes printed on the heads that might you could use to tell them apart?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts