Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I really dont wanna spend 70+ bucks for a nice powdercoating.... but I am a good painter..... spray painter... :) would buying some nice 1200 ceramic paint work just as well as a nice powdecoat?? tell me what cha guys think.... thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
The valve cover in my avatar was done with dupicolour engine enamel.. Ford Red and a coat or two of high heat clear.. The clear is tricky though you have to put it on within 10 minutes of the last coat of it with wrinkle!

·
Registered
438 Posts
yeah the Duplicolor right? it sells in 500 and 1200 right? I wanna do mine a nice blue... and polishing the honda with my dremel... Ill post pics... should I prime it?? maybe??
You could always primer it grey..

I have a pic of mine blue, its ugly as hell.

This was alongggggggggggggg time ago.

Sorry, best pic i could find.
and yes, duplicolor.

What color is your car?

I think you oughta try wrinkle black, dark wrinkle green, or wrinkle blue. Gives a ten times better look in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wrinkle? I know what that is.... but I am kinda lost to what it is... noob... lol I know is it a kinda of clear or what?

·
Registered
371 Posts
yeah the Duplicolor right? it sells in 500 and 1200 right? I wanna do mine a nice blue... and polishing the honda with my dremel... Ill post pics... should I prime it?? maybe??
If you prime it, make sure the primer is also heat resistant. Otherwise you'll melt that under your more expensive paint job and have the same issue.

Learned that the hard way, lol.

·
Registered
639 Posts
if you let the base(colour) cure to long you will spray the clear on and it with wrinkle. peel. get really wavy!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Try and get you valve cover sandblasted. I did mine at work. By some High Heat primer. Buy some high heat engine enamel colour of your choice. Put 3 of 4 light coat. About 5 minutes in between coats. Wait 10 mins and put a couple of the clear on 5 minutes between coat.. let it sit. Have a smoke and a pancake bang the wife go to bed and put it on the next day!

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try and get you valve cover sandblasted. I did mine at work. By some High Heat primer. Buy some high heat engine enamel colour of your choice. Put 3 of 4 light coat. About 5 minutes in between coats. Wait 10 mins and put a couple of the clear on 5 minutes between coat.. let it sit. Have a smoke and a pancake bang the wife go to bed and put it on the next day!
lol I luv it!!!! lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Two light ones should be good!

Reactions: MyblkVTEC

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
I've made mine look powdercoated before just by using high heat engine enamel and like a whole can of the regular touch up paint clear. IMO it works much better than the high heat clear. It makes it a lot glossier. Just make sure you give each coat time to dry and so on...Im sure you already know all that if you are good at spray painting...but yea...High Heat Engine Enamel and regular Dupli-Color touch up clear (LOTS OF IT!) will do the trick

Oh yea and I didn't primer it. Never have...although it wouldn't be a bad idea. It'll cover up any tiny tiny scratches that are there already.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've made mine look powdercoated before just by using high heat engine enamel and like a whole can of the regular touch up paint clear. IMO it works much better than the high heat clear. It makes it a lot glossier. Just make sure you give each coat time to dry and so on...Im sure you already know all that if you are good at spray painting...but yea...High Heat Engine Enamel and regular Dupli-Color touch up clear (LOTS OF IT!) will do the trick

Oh yea and I didn't primer it. Never have...although it wouldn't be a bad idea. It'll cover up any tiny tiny scratches that are there already.
did you mean touch up for teh clear coat?

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
if your valve cover has the stock black "wrinkle" on it, go to autozone and get the aircraft stripper. takes it right off, then you can paint with the color of your choice :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts