Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of engine build. Lower end is completed.
Rods shot peened and resized and fitted ARP rods bolts.
P-28 pistons. NPR piston and rings.
Head is Milled .045". Full ported. Ferrea 5000 stainless steal valves and Crower valve springs and chromoly retainers. I figured the Compression at 10.35 to 1 with .029" head gasket.
Now I I have a Crower Stage 2 cam but not sure if valves will clear tops of pistons. Help please.!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
clay it? what are the specs of the cam?

·
Registered
Honda
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crower Cam # 63442z
Duration ° intake @ .050" 235°
". exhaust @ .050" 223°
Gross lift : intake .432"
.". Exhaust .436"

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
dont EVER trust the word of online for something like this.

you were already told, clay the motor.

the head has been touched. you may think its only 0.045, but it possibly had been cut before.

you are asking for trouble if you are going to rely on our word of whether its gonna work or not. do things properly

·
Registered
Honda
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mattliston, I agree. What I'm trying to achieve is a consensus. If there Is a Way to Avoid All that bullcrap of bolting and un-bolting my cylinder head -16 times, to fly cut my pistons one valve at a time is a Pain in the ass. I would Rather Not use that camshaft..

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
why remove it 16 times? clay in all 4 pistons, rotate slowly, pull head and measure. if theres any interference, youll feel it and already know, if not then you will have something to measure.

·
Registered
Honda
21 Posts
I could just clay #1 and #4 cylinder to achieve the same Results to find if there are Any variances in the head milling, in addtion to Valve/ Piston clearances.

What is an acceptable valve to piston clearance?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Clay it, do all four at the same time, measure your thicknesses, done.
Only means removal of the head twice.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
I could just clay #1 and #4 cylinder to achieve the same Results to find if there are Any variances in the head milling, in addtion to Valve/ Piston clearances.

What is an acceptable valve to piston clearance?
I'm running .065" clearance on the intake and .080" clearance on the exhaust with a pm3 head and a delta 272 . . .

Personally, I would start to get very nervous on the other side of .050"

That close and you are much better off using a checker spring and dial indicator to record the actual amount instead of the clay/caliper method that is +/- your bias.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts