Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got one for Christmas and I was wondering how do i use it? is there a good place to hook it up to on a y8? this thing says it can tell you if your timing is off. but can you tell if its to advanced or retarded?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
If you have a vacuum advance distributor, it can help you diagnose timing problems. If you don't have one of those, then it's not going to help you much. Any of the vacuum lines on the manifold are a good place to run the gauge to. The easiest way to hook it up is to get some small vacuum hose and a T fitting. There are a lot of things you can do with one of those kits. It should have some kind of instruction manual with it.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Were just talking about a vac. gauge right, or a pump with a gauge? or what?

I have a pump with a vac gauge that I really only use for bleeding the brakes. There's a bunch of stuff it's supposed to be able to check, that I can't even think of right now. I usually just use a compression tester to see what's wrong with my motor.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
yeah, the manual should have a bunch of tests you can perform with that thing. There's tests in haynes manual too. Like if you have over 20 in of vac at idle the motor is healthy...... There some tests on some online manual I had for EF's. You could also get a long vac. line and run it in to the car and get really good gas mileage. Pretty much, you wan't to have as high of vacuum as possible at all times. You'll figure out how to adjust your driving style to do so. But never let it go below 10. Also if your bogging on hills, downshift. If possible it's best to get enough momentum befor the hill so it doesn't bog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts