Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
CIVIC COUPE
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking about redoing my downpipe setup. Im wanting to do a V-band clamp off the turbo. Ive heard that the V-bands have issues leaking exhaust? can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
A buddy of mine just got done getting his setup together.

He used a 3" V-Band adapter on the turbine housing and made his own turboback from there, using V-Band's the whole way.

I've never heard of issues related to leaking though. Just praise for how easy it makes exhaust removal.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Took my downpipe off a couple weeks ago...took literally 45seconds.....v- band off the turbo and dp to exhaust....the rest of the exhaust has normal flanges

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Janky eBay crap can and does tend to leak. v-bands can leak if not welded correctly. The easiest way to make sure they seal is to check the sealing face with a sanding board. You want to use a pretty flat piece of wood or metal, spray some 3M adhesive on it, then jam some medium to fine grit sandpaper on it. Run it across the surface and see if there are any non-sealing spots. You don't want to take off too much, as that will loosen up the clamp, if you go too far.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Took my downpipe off a couple weeks ago...took literally 45seconds.....v- band off the turbo and dp to exhaust....the rest of the exhaust has normal flanges
Janky eBay crap can and does tend to leak. v-bands can leak if not welded correctly. The easiest way to make sure they seal is to check the sealing face with a sanding board. You want to use a pretty flat piece of wood or metal, spray some 3M adhesive on it, then jam some medium to fine grit sandpaper on it. Run it across the surface and see if there are any non-sealing spots. You don't want to take off too much, as that will loosen up the clamp, if you go too far.
Buy quality Vband products. Problem solved.

btw FWIW, Vband on a downpipe, Wastegate, and exhaust set up is worth EVERY FREAKING PENNY!!!!!!!!!
i second third and fourth this. Im building my exhaust right now with v-bands on the turbo only. Its the best move ive ever done since going turbo.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I've ran "eBay" v-bands on 3 setups and never had an issue with leaking. I personally think it has more to do with welding procedure than the v-bands themselves. If you overheat the piss out of the flange, it WILL warp, and you will not get a good seal.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
539 Posts
I use a piece of glass for sanding boards.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
mine are ebay and i dont have any problems....the ones i got have a little lip on the inside edge that helps them seal better. i think its a 2 1/2 on the turbo and 3" on the exhaust

·
Registered
59 Posts
vbands on down pipe on back. the exhaust is always on and off often. No leaks. seals up great each n every time. vbands ftw. quick and easy removal.

·
Registered
CIVIC COUPE
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys! Speedfactory is doing the downpipe so ill shouldn't have anything to worry about as far the flange getting warped.

Rep to everyone!

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
I took my manifold and welded my v band for my 38mm emusa wastegate to it. No leaks and the dumptube. Looks clean and makes it easy. Need to v band my dp off my holset. I'll weld a plate recessed into it and then make it flat. And then weld the band. Blah!

·
Registered
EK Sedan
347 Posts
Im going to be running vband clamps on my downpipe, on my kteller 2.5" ss exhaust at the "cat" wink*wink* and another vband at the rear section before the hump over the control arm. Easily spend over 100 bucks on vband clamps lately lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts