14,661 Posts
pro:
easier to hang the exhaust
no exhaust leaks
no gaskets to replace every time you have to remove the exhaust

con:
flanges are expensive compared to standard two bolt flanges
v-band clamp is expensive if you loose one
some welders are not willing to convert your exhaust system over to v-band style flanges

these are just the few that come to mind...

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
V-band > all

To take my dp off now is a nightmare. I can only get a couple of bolts from the top, the rest I have to jack the car up and get from underneath.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im really tempted to use these, would there be any problems welding it to the cat? should i hack the existing flange off then weld the new one or just weld the new one the existing flange?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
you would hack the one off the cat and weld the flange on.

but like i said before, some places will not do this. one reason is cause they don't want to "mess" with a cat. idk about your area though, since your across the water.

To take my dp off now is a nightmare. I can only get a couple of bolts from the top, the rest I have to jack the car up and get from underneath.
mine was ok. it was a 5-bolt to v-band conversion flange right out of the turbo. then a three bolt flange under the car. really wanted to do a v-band with the rest of the exhaust, but i didn;t have the cash. the flanges and clamps are bank.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my dads going to weld it so that wont be a problem, i just need to make sure i know what needs doing.

if anyone has a pic that would probally be helpful?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
well my dads going to weld it so that wont be a problem, i just need to make sure i know what needs doing.
i would actually NOT do the cat part. i thought about it and every time you got a new cat, you would have to do it again. it would probably be cheaper to leave that part with flanges.

try not to give it too much heat. stitch weld differant sections otherwise you can warp the flange. vbands are the best
:werd:

if anyone has a pic that would probally be helpful?
of a full v-band exhaust? there is a SS tahoe locally with twins and a full duel v-band exhaust. looks tits, but i did not get a pic of it. there is a pic of my DP with the one v-band flange in my build thread.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i should just weld a normal cheap flange both?

even pics of just the two normal flanges would be helpfull atm, i just want to try and picture what i need to do.

the V band flanges are quite cheap over here.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, basically ive got my down pipe which is a straight cut with no flanges, so i need to weld a flange to it and one that mates up to it on the cat.

so my question really is whats the best way and has anyone got any pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts