Honda D Series Forum banner

Using different rocker arm shaft caps from different head

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  guest 
#1 ·
I know there lined bore for the original head. but is this a bad idea? if it plastigauges correct though it's ok right? cause I did this on my zc and the oil clearances where fine and it's been running great.

#4 · (Edited)
should I switch em. asap??

or would it be late? I've only put about 1K miles on it.
If the cam broke. both my heads would be trash cause I don't have the right rocker caps.

I only switched them cause I had rocker arms that had nicer faces where the cam contacts. I sould have taken the whole thing apart and just replace the rocker arms huh......

#5 ·
I wouldn't change them now, keep a eye on the oil pressure. Thinking more about it I don't think it's that bad.

Let it run for a while...

People don't put new cam caps on when they replace the cam...

#6 ·
I used the cam that went with the assembly too if that helps. I've already went on 600 mile road trip, 80mph.... 70 minimum. it's on a motor I just rebuilt. new oil pump, bearings, etc. now that I think about it the bearing clearance did vary a little from each other. not sure if I threw away the specs I measured or not.

#7 ·
well, the car is making a shit load of noise now from the head. valve ticking and another whining noise/ possibly air going into the motor according to krychek, but I think is more coming from the head. at any rate I pulled my rocker assembly and the cam is worn really bad. that coating is dam near gone. New head? or readjust valves and continue running it...

Attachments

#12 ·
I dunno, as I am really tempted to just readjust the valves and call it good I think the head needs to be replaced. unfortunately I cant do any real measurements unless I pull the head off... the caps on the rocker side looked good. but of course I could not bolt it to the head without the cam and measure the bore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.