Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there lined bore for the original head. but is this a bad idea? if it plastigauges correct though it's ok right? cause I did this on my zc and the oil clearances where fine and it's been running great.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
I would make sure you had direct reading oil pressure and watch for low pressure later on. It may be fine for a while, or longer just keep an eye on it.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
should I switch em. asap??

or would it be late? I've only put about 1K miles on it.
If the cam broke. both my heads would be trash cause I don't have the right rocker caps.

I only switched them cause I had rocker arms that had nicer faces where the cam contacts. I sould have taken the whole thing apart and just replace the rocker arms huh......

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
I wouldn't change them now, keep a eye on the oil pressure. Thinking more about it I don't think it's that bad.

Let it run for a while...

People don't put new cam caps on when they replace the cam...

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't change them now, keep a eye on the oil pressure. Thinking more about it I don't think it's that bad.

Let it run for a while...

People don't put new cam caps on when they replace the cam...
I used the cam that went with the assembly too if that helps. I've already went on 600 mile road trip, 80mph.... 70 minimum. it's on a motor I just rebuilt. new oil pump, bearings, etc. now that I think about it the bearing clearance did vary a little from each other. not sure if I threw away the specs I measured or not.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the car is making a shit load of noise now from the head. valve ticking and another whining noise/ possibly air going into the motor according to krychek, but I think is more coming from the head. at any rate I pulled my rocker assembly and the cam is worn really bad. that coating is dam near gone. New head? or readjust valves and continue running it...

Attachments

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
well, the car is making a shit load of noise now from the head. valve ticking and another whining noise/ possibly air going into the motor according to krychek, but I think is more coming from the head. at any rate I pulled my rocker assembly and the cam is worn really bad. that coating is dam near gone. New head? or readjust valves and continue running it...
The cam looks fine to me. The coating is supposed to wear off.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The cam looks fine to me. The coating is supposed to wear off.
I've never seen it wear off that much though.

How do the journals on the head on caps look? If the cam spins fine I'd say you got pretty lucky.
well, I do not know if the cam spins easily not connected to the motor. I know I can rev the car up to redline.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dunno, as I am really tempted to just readjust the valves and call it good I think the head needs to be replaced. unfortunately I cant do any real measurements unless I pull the head off... the caps on the rocker side looked good. but of course I could not bolt it to the head without the cam and measure the bore.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, you should see mine.

but, I am pretty sure it was not like that when I put it in. as in it has worn a lot since. what would cause this severity? lack of lubrication. it leaks a little oil (what cars don't leak at least a little?), but not a bunch, new oil pump, everything cleaned.

I have a cx cam with 200k on it and it looks WAY better. I have a feeling if I take the head off, and pull the springs/valves the cam won't spin freely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts