Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a turbo swap in my crx and decided to re-locate the battery to the rear to simplify charge pipe placement. However now I am concerned about taking it to the race track as I found out that the rules state that any battery that has been re-located must have a external master kill switch. That sounds like alot of trouble to me, I thought maybe I could find enough room under the hood to mount my motorcycle battery. This way I could remove the rear battery when I get to the track. Do you guys think that a bike battery would start a D engine assuming it is already warmed up and won't need much of a kick to fire her up? The battery I am thinking of using is rated at 12amp/hr with 135cold cranking amps. I suppose I could always use the main battery to boost it if needed. Hey.. and I just had a thought.. maybe starting a D would take alot out of that lil battery and the alternator would be going crazy trying to charge it back up and I'd run a crappy time.. LOL maybe that's a bit of a stretch tho..

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i personally wouldn't use a bike battery. i don't think that you voltage regulator and or charging system would work efficient w/ it.

have you thought about an Odessey battery? just put it in the back and a breaker switch between off the positive side. just leave enough lead inbetween the terminal and the switch, then run like a power wire for an amp. you could hide the switch in the license plate area, or near it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about that, any decent alternator should be able to run a car engine regardless of the size of the battery. Plus it's not like it would run that setup all the time, just for a afternoon at the race track. Of course there would be no reason to turn on the lights/stereo ect.. After racing I would put the larger battery back in the rear of the car.
My concern is simply the battery being able to reasonably start the engine between runs. Right now it starts a 1100cc Vtwin, but obviously there won't be alot of reserve power. There have been times when my bike has sat for months and "almost" starts but it takes a bit to start a carb'd bike that is stone cold and has been sitting. Of course jumping it with a car battery makes it turn over like mad...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts