Honda D Series Forum banner

Using 93 octane, will it hurt??

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ekhatchman 
#1 ·
Ok so my local gas stations pump was broke and they only had 93 octane so I put that in it I have a d16y7 would it hurt anything would it decrease or add power I'm just wanting to know so please let me know thanks.

#4 ·
No it won't hurt anything. Heck your motor will not know the difference. There is no more energy in that gasoline than there is in 87 octane. All the extra octane does is improve detonation resistance of the gasoline. So if you have a turbo or high compression build tuning is safer/easier. Otherwise you're just "wasting" your money.

#8 · (Edited)
Down on power and will slowly carbon up your engine from prolonged use.

No it won't hurt anything. Heck your motor will not know the difference. There is no more energy in that gasoline than there is in 87 octane. All the extra octane does is slow down the burn rate of the gasoline. So if you have a turbo or high compression build you won't get detonation or preignition. Otherwise you're just "wasting" your money.

#9 ·
You will get an extra 25whp???

Using a higer octane then recomended will obviously do nothing, it only matters when you have a engine that actualy calls for premium like a vtec B or K, and like metioned earlier a high comp or F.I setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.