Honda D Series Forum banner

What should the USDM D15b7 Rod design be?

• H-Beam Rod

Votes: 60 50.4%
  • I-Beam Rod

Votes: 59 49.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i need your input on this.

I would like to contribute to the D series community and specially for the USDM D15B2/B7 crowd by making the custom length rods for Vitara pistons and standard length rods for any other pistons. I want to build around the customer needs so i need to know what's the input in terms of if you guys would like an H Beam or an I beam.

Here is some food for thought:

1- I beams are more expensive to produce and oviously have a higher price tag.
2- I beams is a more assive rod, able to hold good power and is a rod that on the d15 wouln't require bock notching (Atleast our JDM D15b did not required notching due to the stroke of the crank....same thing would happen here)
3- H beams is a cheaper design to produce and have a lower price tag than I beams
4- H beam is more used and tested design so everyone tend to go this way..
5. H beams will require notching of the block...

Regarding Vitara pistons and USDM D15 rods, this is how Compression ratios would be:

8.09:1 CR with a D15b7 block + Z6 head + Y8 2 layer HG (.025")
8.34:1 CR with a D15b7 block + Y8 head + Y8 2 layer HG (.025")
9.6:1 CR with a D15b7 block + D15Z1 head(this one should be VTEC?) + Y8 2 layer HG (.025")
Same setup as above but with a Z6 HG (.036") ---> 9.3:1CR
Same setup as above but with a D15b7/A6 HG (.048") ---> 9.13:1CR

If you do a full D15b7 block and head with a Y8 2 layer HG the CR would be 7.66:1CR

All this compressions are workable and will work for turbo.. even the 7.66:1 is ok..would be basically like running a D16Z6 with Vitaras and Eagles (7.45:1 CR)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I-beams would seem like the more logical choice , IF NOTCHING IS NOT REQUIRED. This would add to the simplicity of the build and the cost of paying someone to notch the block in order to run H-beams.

H-beams if the cost is significantly less than the I-beam production. After all this is for a d15 motor which means the majority of people are budget DIY builders who would probably be capable of notching their own blocks aways.

BUILD BOTH!!

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
i think the lower cost of the h beam would appeal to the market who would be building d15b2/7s etc

EDIT: then again, lots of people would want to turbo their stock motor... etc... having someone else do the work.

its tough. i vote h beam

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
can you tell me the price difference, honestly id do I beam becasue it would benefit the N/A or Spray and F/I guys simply becasue of the lesser amount of weight and the ability to hold the power still. Id say I beam gets my vote unless its like a 200 price difference

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I already voted on td16 but most people that build there own block also usually notch them. Doubt the weight is much diff. But I guess if its the same price range of the d16 30 bucks is well worth spent...hmm where can I change my vote LOL

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
would the girdle have to be notched with the h-beams?
notching the block is a piece of cake. but im not sore about the girdle.
if not, id vote for the h-beams.
if so, i-beam gets my vote due to cost of machining.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no notching for the girdle as it is now with our rods..

The I beam is actually a bit heavier than the H Beam

Price difference.. around $50 dollars

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
hmm really, the I-Beam is heavier? Can you please explain i always thought the I Beam was lighter

·
Registered
894 Posts
i cant believe the weight is more for the i.beams
you should post up the weights of all your current rods

i'll vote after...
but i'm still thinking i.beams to save a block notch...

i wonder if either is better for oil shedding or crankcase aerodynamics

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
i-beams. i think they are stronger, correct me if im wrong, the ease of not notching the block is nice, and the price tag is still well worth it. the price isn't ridiculous for the D16 rods so i can see these being any different.

and whats the weight difference in grams? because i've thought of i-beams to typically be lighter... maybe a design improvement to keep the strength but shave some weight?

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.