Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I wouldn't normally ask on this board but my girlfriend out in LA is having problems starting her 98 Avalon (basically a V6 Camry). Normally, I'd be there fixing it but over here all I can do is diagnose it and ask a friend to help out.
So before I send my friend over there, I need to tell him what to do and this one has me a little worried...

The problem: Car won't start. According to my gf, the car cranks but just won't start. Normally, I'd say the battery, BUT the has happened once before several months ago and eventually the car started up again by itself. Also, I replaced the battery last year. Earlier this year, I changed the spark plugs and air filter. Oil changes have been regular.

It might be the battery still.... so I was wondering if this test was valid on Toyotas. Basically, turn on the lights and see if they dim to nothing when the car is cranking.

Anyone have any other ideas, or experience working with this engine? This thing is a big pain in the ass, BTW. Working with the 2nd bank of cylinders is a nightmare because it's pointed directly at the freaking firewall. :TD:

J

·
0 Posts
makku the test your saying would still be valide to diagnose the battery. There are also several other possibilities. (this has happened to me on VW) the other primary possibility is the crank sensor is bad, and or one of the fuel injectors is stuck either open or closed. The ECU senses this and will refuse to turn the engine on, (thus it kills the starter.)

So i would suggest start with the headlight dimming test to eliminate the battery possibility. If that doesnt solve the problem your going to have to scan the ecu to see whta wrong

Good luck

-Juan

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jclanza said:
makku the test your saying would still be valide to diagnose the battery. There are also several other possibilities. (this has happened to me on VW) the other primary possibility is the crank sensor is bad, and or one of the fuel injectors is stuck either open or closed. The ECU senses this and will refuse to turn the engine on, (thus it kills the starter.)

So i would suggest start with the headlight dimming test to eliminate the battery possibility. If that doesnt solve the problem your going to have to scan the ecu to see whta wrong
I see what you're saying about the ECU controlling the start, but the starter is working. So, either we're not getting enough power to crank AND run the ignition/fuel system... or it's what you said, something is wrong and the ECU has shutoff fuel/spark.

Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
the only other thing you could try was to hook up a fuel pressue gauge and see if you have fuel pressure. But since your on the other coast, you might as well send her to a mechanic you trust to have it scanned.....

-Juan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts