Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is simple...do I get new keepers when purchasing a upgraded valvetrain kit like Isky, Supertech, Skunk2 etc...
Exospeed just mailed me that in a new Isky valvetrain kit comes the following stuff :

16 valvesprings
16 titanium retainers
8 exhaust spring locaters

I'm worried about the keepers, if I get this kit and use stock ones, can they fail or???
Please help me!:)
Leo

·
Registered
129 Posts
So what happens if you're an idiot and lose the keepers? Does anyone in the aftermarket support sell it?

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
stock retainers are fine, i guess its the bling factor of saying i have ti-retainers...

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
stock keepers... ti retainers is to lower the weight for higher rpm usage but some titanium thats used is too soft for DD use and pulls through. Crower claims to have a good set of retainers that can be daily driven, but i would be a little shaky on that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm planning to get a valvetrain kit, because 2 of my buddies messed up ther engines cause their stock retainers failed ( one had a D16 with stg 2 cam, other had B18 ).

·
Registered
164 Posts
stock keepers... ti retainers is to lower the weight for higher rpm usage but some titanium thats used is too soft for DD use and pulls through. Crower claims to have a good set of retainers that can be daily driven, but i would be a little shaky on that.
How can retainers be built for high-performance use, but be too soft for street use?

·
Registered
WRX
158 Posts
they are built to be light weight and wont last for as many miles as a stock retainer. They are fine for DD but you just have to change them. I have heard 10k miles but there is always mixed opinions on things like that.

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
so I can change the springs and keep the retainers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts