Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 1990 CRX Si, and I'm thinking about upgrading the brakes.. looking at putting a integra master cylinder, and 15/16 brake booster. Im wondering what the booster is on the stock crx si? Also looking at putting on a 4040 proportioning valve, and im wondering what the stock one is on the crx. Just trying to make sure these parts are gonna make a difference.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If you already have rear discs, don't worry about the prop valve. If not, swap over all brakes from a DA... front, rear, booster, prop valve, mc...

M

·
0 Posts
?

Kind of off-topic, but I didn't want to make a new thread.... what is the reasoning in upgrading the front brakes? :confused:

·
Registered
97 Civic CX Hatch
836 Posts
For one, most of the braking force comes from the front brakes. So, beefing up the fronts will increase braking performance more than beefing up the rears. Second, the faster you go, the longer it takes to slow down using the stock system. Put on some bigger rotors or some more aggressive pads, and the time it takes to slow the car down will be significantly decreased. The stock civic braking system was designed around a ~2200 lbs car with 100hp, and for city driving and grocery getting, not for 300hp and racing. You have to be a litte careful, though, because if you go too radical and don't either increase the rear brake bias or upgrade the rear brakes, you'll end up with a car that will want to break loose under hard braking...

M

·
0 Posts
Ahhh. Thanks for the input, I didn't know it was for so much car.. makes a lot more sense now :)

·
Registered
97 Civic CX Hatch
836 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what his specific application is, but even for a stock civic, upgrading the brakes will help it to stop quicker. But, without abs, under hard braking it'll be a lot easier to lock up a wheel, which could cause some problems, especially in the wet. But, as with most anything, once you get used to them and how hard you can brake without locking up, your 60-0 times will improve greatly. Also, with larger wheels (and more rotational inertia) and/or wider/softer tires, you can use a lot more brake than with stock wheels/tires, without locking up. Just remember that the more aggressive the brake package is, the faster the WHEEL will stop moving, but not necessarily the car.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
boostREX said:
Ok so I have a 1990 CRX Si, and I'm thinking about upgrading the brakes.. looking at putting a integra master cylinder, and 15/16 brake booster. Im wondering what the booster is on the stock crx si? Also looking at putting on a 4040 proportioning valve, and im wondering what the stock one is on the crx. Just trying to make sure these parts are gonna make a difference.
since you already have rear discs and your car is light enough as it is, i would personally just go with better rotors, pads and fluid.

i have a '95 civic hb with rear drums. this is the process i went thru with my brakes
  1. all stock brakes and fluid....then
  2. front slotted and drilled rotors (waste of money) with honda dot3 fluid....then
  3. front slotted and drilled rotors (same as above, still waste of money) with valvoline synpower dot4 fluid....then
  4. new brembo blank rotors (no holes or slots), axxis/pbr ultimate pads (aggressive ceramic kevlar material) for the front; new brembo drums for the rear with oem shoes, synpower dot4 fluid
my braking power with the car increased dramamtically. mind you im only running a b7 with bolt-on and a built suspension but the change to better rotors and pads with the dot4 fluid make a HUGE difference (several evassive maneouvers in traffic to avoid bad drivers proved it)

i would get blank brembo blank rotors at all four corners. i spent MANY nights up reading on brake pads and rotors...brembo got ALOT of good reviews and much success from all that ive read and for the price you cant beat the performance for hard street and occassion weekend competitive use. for pads, axxis/pbr ultimate line also got many good reviews.

another step would be to change out your fluid completely (completel flush) to a higher performance brand (synpower, ate, motul, castrol, etc.) for me, i like synpower because for aggressive street driving and occassional weekend warrior use it is a good bang-for-buck improvement over stock fluid and priced reasonably in comparison (it's a bit more than $1 a bottle here in canada over oem honda dot3 fluid). an added bonus is like some others, it is available at most large auto parts stores which means you dont have to wait for it to come in the mail or come back into stock.

keep in mind again that my car is not a 300hp beast nor do i abuse it regularly at the track. from my experience using them, i would suggest brembo and axxis all around for your crx with a better fluid. i can pretty much guarantee you will be happy with the results :TU:

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
p.s. i forgot to mention that before you upgrade anything, please check your braking system in general to ensure that all parts of it are in good condition and do not need replacing. if you upgrade your brakes and some parts of it are worn or in the initial stages of failure, having brake components that allow you to be harder on them will obviously increase fatigue rates and introduce greater pressure on the system. check all your hard lines, soft lines, seals, calipers and components starting with the master cylinder. if need be, replace any worn parts before you upgrade.

for me i always ensure that part of my upgrading process includes making sure the smaller parts i keep on it will work up to the task, even if it means replacing them with new ones. you cant stop on a dime with brembo rotors, axxis pads and ate superblue fluid at the track if your old worn oem lines pop entering a corner ;).

hope this helped :TU:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I think I kinda was too general. My car is gonna be setup for auto-x and road race eventually so the best brakes are a must. Is the 1990 EX Sedan booster and M/C better than a 1990 CRX Si? Im guessing all the proportioning valves are the same if the car came with rear discs...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Steve-O said:
since you already have rear discs and your car is light enough as it is, i would personally just go with better rotors, pads and fluid.

i have a '95 civic hb with rear drums. this is the process i went thru with my brakes
  1. all stock brakes and fluid....then
  2. front slotted and drilled rotors (waste of money) with honda dot3 fluid....then
  3. front slotted and drilled rotors (same as above, still waste of money) with valvoline synpower dot4 fluid....then
  4. new brembo blank rotors (no holes or slots), axxis/pbr ultimate pads (aggressive ceramic kevlar material) for the front; new brembo drums for the rear with oem shoes, synpower dot4 fluid
my braking power with the car increased dramamtically. mind you im only running a b7 with bolt-on and a built suspension but the change to better rotors and pads with the dot4 fluid make a HUGE difference (several evassive maneouvers in traffic to avoid bad drivers proved it)

i would get blank brembo blank rotors at all four corners. i spent MANY nights up reading on brake pads and rotors...brembo got ALOT of good reviews and much success from all that ive read and for the price you cant beat the performance for hard street and occassion weekend competitive use. for pads, axxis/pbr ultimate line also got many good reviews.

another step would be to change out your fluid completely (completel flush) to a higher performance brand (synpower, ate, motul, castrol, etc.) for me, i like synpower because for aggressive street driving and occassional weekend warrior use it is a good bang-for-buck improvement over stock fluid and priced reasonably in comparison (it's a bit more than $1 a bottle here in canada over oem honda dot3 fluid). an added bonus is like some others, it is available at most large auto parts stores which means you dont have to wait for it to come in the mail or come back into stock.

keep in mind again that my car is not a 300hp beast nor do i abuse it regularly at the track. from my experience using them, i would suggest brembo and axxis all around for your crx with a better fluid. i can pretty much guarantee you will be happy with the results :TU:
Not to thread jack or anything, but how are those axxis pads with brake dust and noise?

·
Registered
999 Posts
boostREX said:
Ok I think I kinda was too general. My car is gonna be setup for auto-x and road race eventually so the best brakes are a must. Is the 1990 EX Sedan booster and M/C better than a 1990 CRX Si? Im guessing all the proportioning valves are the same if the car came with rear discs...
do you know what class you want to run in? autox classes have restrictions..you may want to build to what class u wanna run in..

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
RaveN1814 said:
Not to thread jack or anything, but how are those axxis pads with brake dust and noise?
my wheels are del so si fat 5 spokes painted black so the only time i notice the brake dust is when i wash the car and see the dirty water when i first rinse the wheels. they do create dust and it is fairly dark (the water running off the wheels at first shows the dust in it) but if you regualrly clean your car then it shouldn't be a problem.

i didnt notice any excessive noise coming from the pads or anything to bring it to my attention otherwise. i work at a honda dealership so we get a nicely tuned ear for those things plus im picky about my car.

honestly, nothing stood out of the ordinary with my axxis ultimate pads. maybe if you had white wheels the dust might be an issue but nothing a good washing won't cure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boostREX said:
Can anyone answer this... are they the same or what?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts