Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am interested in getting some OEM big brakes in the very near future. I really want it asap as my braking is sub par and my wheel bearing are in need of replacement so this is the best time to do this for me.

Problem with doing big brakes for me, is I own a Crx, and I believe I need to convert my knuckle and everything thats associated with that to do the big brake kit.

Is there a company that sells the replacement knuckle that everyone uses, possibly with bearings and hub, studs etc all already installed. I havent seen much talk on the conversion or part numbers or pictures. Do balljoints upper and lower change? Tie rods?

Im not set on a certain brake setup yet, but Id like to fit a nice aggressive brake setup under my 15" wheels

Appreciate your guys wealth of knowledge on this subject on how I should proceed

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Could swap to DA Integra knuckles brakes or Ex sedan knuckles(rare).

Those swaps put you at 262mm front brakes, and its an easy swap.

To go 282mm front you need the 262mm knuckles, 282mm rotors redrilled to 4x100, 3mm hub spacers and ITR or Legend GS twin pot calipers.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
those are all 262mm, we are talking about 282mm.

civic MC2/MB6, ITR DC2 or Prelude BB1/2/8/9 calipers work.

prelude calipers need a tiny bit of filing, but not much. all those
calipers bolt up once you installed any 262mm knuckle.

throw the mg brake disc on and BAM, instant oem quality plug and play brake upgrade

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
those are all 262mm
Which is all you need.

You know CRX's race for hours on stock brakes right?

STAND on a set of ITR front brakes and you barely slow down but leave two black stripes and stall the motor.

OEM 262mm is plenty big for a CRX and will fit under 14" wheels.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
forget the knuckle swap.

WWW.Fastbrakes.com and done.
Which is all you need.

You know CRX's race for hours on stock brakes right?

STAND on a set of ITR front brakes and you barely slow down but leave two black stripes and stall the motor.

OEM 262mm is plenty big for a CRX and will fit under 14" wheels.
This man speaks the truth! I can back this up having ran several iterations of brake sizes on my autox CRX. Some good pads is your cheapest route, particularly something like a Hawk HP+ but you'll have noise and dust.

I went to the 10.3" DA spindles and with the hawk pads and good fluid I'm easily locking up 225/45 R comps. When I had the HPS street pad I could easily overwhelm sticky street tires like my Star Specs. I don't even use any fancy rotors, just off the shelf Advance Auto Parts blanks.

If I had to start all over again I probably would've bought the FastBrake kit to run 11" VW Corrado rotors just because of some trouble I've had along the way, but I just picked up a set of EX spindles yesterday to replace my DA's with at some point.

Edit: No need for spindle swapping, re-drilling or any rigging. Buy this adapter from FastBrake, toss on some Teg calipers and VW Corrado rotors and be done. Maybe I'm getting older, but I'd rather the simpler route any day of the week.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I found a very useful like 30 page thread on honda-tech by jonathonED3 and found out we can keep the STOCK crx Si 9.5" knuckle and hub, use integra type R calipers and brackets, 90-91 civic ex sedan front rotors (10.3") and have a BBK that way....

Only thing is, this setup aparently still need either the caliper bracket milled 3mm or the use of a 3mm spacer.

Which route would you guys prefer? Im not sure on machining cost, but theres a guy on HT selling the spacers for $55 but I had to pm him to see if they will fit crx

Not sure if either way will make it easier or harder for me

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Doesn't the Fastbrakes.com kit need 262mm knuckles? $160 for an adapter is pricey anyways...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Doesn't the Fastbrakes.com kit need 262mm knuckles? $160 for an adapter is pricey anyways...
No, stock 9.5" spindles. By the time you buy spindles from a junkyard, spend $ on gas and food you know you're going to buy, it's not that big of a difference. AND you don't have to pay machining costs and hope someone did it right. I wouldn't run spacers or redrill if other cost-effective options are available. VW Corrado rotors are comparably priced to other blanks, just need to buy the calipers.

Clearly, I went the DA route on my CRX. They've done well and are plenty for our cars. The 11" rotor will just fill the wheel better. It's probably a bit cheaper than the fastbrake 11" route as well.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone tried the setup Im planning on running??

Stock Crx si 9.5" knuckle
90-91 Civic EX 10.3 rotor
Type r caliper and bracket milled 3mm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts