Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 DX hatch
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a z6 head that I'm cleaning up for my turbo build. I am going ahead and upgrading to supertech valves/springs/retainers and I'm keeping my eye out for a used cam. In the meantime I am going to leave the stock in and I was wondering if I can up the rev limit from stock or is a cam nessisary?

·
Registered
94' DX 2-Dr
94 Posts
you can but more than likely you wont be making any power revving that high and acceleration will probably be reduced..

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
You can rev higher now. No need to keep revving after the stock cam stops making power tho. But its fun lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
why up the rpm if its not making power there? you only need as much rpm as the engine want once it stops making power your done,

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
lol. He did say he is looking for a deal on a cam yet. Then its time to rev

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
rev it all you want you'll just be wasting more gas and not making any power.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Any suggestions on a good cam regrind for a boosted dd? Shooting for high 200s whp.
Delta seems to have a good price on boost cams

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
with an adjustable cam gear you can get a little more RPM out of the stock cam, but you REALLY need a dyno to get good results.

why change the cam though especially in a daily driven car, keep the stocker and maintain stock driveability and less tuning headache.

·
Registered
96 DX hatch
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After much reading I am leaning toward a delta regrind. Either a 272 or a 260, I run a smaller turbo and am not looking for huge numbers so I will have to call and ask them for their suggestions. I figure for >$100 I may as well while I am swapping valves and springs. Skip the retainers and get the cam sounds like a good plan to me.

·
Registered
95 honda del sol Si
271 Posts
I hear retainers are still up in the air whether you need em or not. I'd say hook yourself up with a 272. heard good things about them and they are within most budgets

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
i would def rev the stock cam. depends on your tune, but for sure the stock will run out of steam.

i raised mine to keep the RPM up between shifts so i wouldn't fall out of the power band. daily driving it obviously you wouldn't be revving that high so it shouldn't matter.

get the spring and reatiners and rev it! :bigok:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^Space bar still missing? LOL!

OP, I had a stock Z6 with all of the normal bolt-ons. Took it to the dyno, and what do you know...the car stopped making power at 7200, though with stock internals can easily net 7800-8k all day long.

The only reason I could see reving pass 7200 is for the unfortunate event that you have a VX/CX or DX trans. I had a VX for a while, and I rev'd it out to the top of 2nd netting 92mph! LOL

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
You shouldn't even need a cam for your power goals however since you've already replaced the valvetrain the Delta 272 should be a good option. Depending upon your turbo size it can also help the response.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts