Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Si Hatch
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my quest to find a high output alternator for my vehicle I run into the Advance Auto associate. He tells me that upgrading my alternator can/will fry my ecu. I thought that was a little weird. Unless a higher output alternator puts out more than 14.8 volts, there shouldn't be a problem should there?

Next stop, Mr. alternator repairman. He tells me the same thing.

The company that makes the alternator made it specifically for my motor and say there won't be a problem...

Why would a higher output alternator have any effect on my ecu? Alternators should all run at the same rated voltages right? Someone please clarify this for me.

Thank you.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Your alternator repairman and AA associate are idiots.

Yes, alternators give out the same voltages. Higher output ones are just able to crank out more amperage. The ECU wouldn't fry itself unless it somehow draws more current in via a short somewhere or hardware incompatibility(like using PnH injectors on a saturated ECU). Also, anything coming from the alternator, battery, etc. would blow the fuse for the ECU.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yea and to simplify what K2e2vin said, when you upgrade your alternator, you increase the amperage(output) of the alt. not the voltage. SO no an improved alt will not hurt the ecu.

BTW 4gexpress, i'm just restating it for people that didn't understand the pther response. I knew that you knew what he ment.

·
Registered
1990 Si Hatch
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea and to simplify what K2e2vin said, when you upgrade your alternator, you increase the amperage(output) of the alt. not the voltage. SO no an improved alt will not hurt the ecu.

BTW 4gexpress, i'm just restating it for people that didn't understand the pther response. I knew that you knew what he ment.
Cool man. Everyone needs to know...

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Your alternator repairman and AA associate are idiots.

Yes, alternators give out the same voltages. Higher output ones are just able to crank out more amperage. The ECU wouldn't fry itself unless it somehow draws more current in via a short somewhere or hardware incompatibility(like using PnH injectors on a saturated ECU). Also, anything coming from the alternator, battery, etc. would blow the fuse for the ECU.
You got it sunshine!

·
Registered
1988 Civic Hatch
652 Posts
and just to clarify, and alternator doesnt crank out amps per say, you can only draw from them what they are rated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts