Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so the bottom end is good to go but now its time for the head. here are some pics of the head for you guys to look at so you know what i am refering to. as you can see...two valves are open and in the next cylinder the two opposite vavles are slightly open. my questions are as follows:

do i have bent valves?

when the head is at TDC shouldn't the valves be closed all of the way?

i just wanna make sure i get the timing done correctly so everything runs nice and smoothly. thanks and let me know what you guys think because if everythings looks good i wanna put the head on tomorrow

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
maybe its just me (ive never thought to rotate a cam while the head is off the block or really pay any attention to the valves)...but i would think that at tdc (as indicated by the mark on the cam) #1 should have them all closed and the other cylinders' valves may be open since those cylinders are not at the same part of the cycle as #1

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Well, get some rubber bands, take off the cam caps and use the bands to hold all the rockers up. Remove the cam and check then. With all the valves closed (no cam in the head) flip the head over and pour some oil on them. See if any leaks through.

·
Screwy lewy in red
2005 Honda Accord LX
1,546 Posts
Well, get some rubber bands, take off the cam caps and use the bands to hold all the rockers up. Remove the cam and check then. With all the valves closed (no cam in the head) flip the head over and pour some oil on them. See if any leaks through.
I checked my valves. Thank god they were not bent!!!

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
You don't need to take the cam out.
Just rotate the cam and pour water into the ports where the valves are closed.

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/?file=USDM_92-95_civic.zip

down load the manual and find out which valves should be open and which should be closed at the different valve adjustments.

If all the valve seats hold water your fine.

I'd give you the page number but my helms is out in the trailer.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright so today has been damn good...im put oil in the head and turned it over and not one damn drip was seen! so i put the head at TDC and now i have to get the bottom end at TDC. after that its gonna be arp time!

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Do you know which timing mark is TDC on the cover?

I put the studs in the block after I put the head on.

Lube the threads on the studs and install them and make sure they are bottomed in the hole. It will take a few try's to get all the air out of the bore. keep turning the studs by hand until your sure they bottomed. then back them out 1/2 turn.

Lube the bearing surface of the washers and internal threads of the nuts as well as the threads on the studs.

Step torque the nuts to 70ftlbs.

Re torque after 10 heat cycles.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow that was alot of work....alright well that shit is done.

however my timing belt is being a little shit head. when its routed the way its supposed to be on the cam gear it keeps coming off...also im thinking i have to call jet to figure out a small belt for my alternator. i have their crankpulley with an unorthodox atlertanor pulley and the stock one is a little too small.

other then that i personally believe that i am golden. now its time to move to the clutch and tranny

1 - 20 of 27 Posts