Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a sleeved D series block for a b20 short block that had a bad head anyway the block has broken motor mount tabs could possibly heli coil them but I have no idea what motor this is because the area where it says usually d16y8 -z6 is ground off was told it was to fit the turbo. My question is can I remove these sleeves and have them installed into another block or would it be a waste of time money I'm pretty sure this block is a y8 I have everything for z6 I don't feel like mix matching parts head

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup figured that much but I basically got it for free can the sleeves be pressed out and pressed in new block ?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,603 Posts
dip stick on the far right of the engine or dead center. that will tell you what it is. Im guessing y8, and wish I could get the oil pan

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
From the look of it the dip stick is in the oil pump which would make it a y7 or y8.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
definitely y series, no center dipstick is the giveaway. Nice moroso pan too

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I should of been more specific I new it was a y8 or y7 but not sure exactly which one and the head studs one is longer which would make it y motor oil pan is another good part moroso 5qt

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just not sure what to do with this block fawk good rods and Pistons cylinder walls are mint I would hate to junk it

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,603 Posts
pull em and attempt to sell them

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,918 Posts
where are you located? also you can sell it as a sleeved block with forged rods and pistons, just open it up and look for spun bearings and its all good, sell it as a used (not by you) bottom end you will get more then a b20 is worth forsure

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
If you worry about stripped motor mount - my is also striped

and previous owner made bracket

its go to power Sterling bolts and alternator bolts

the pictures not so good, but if you need it more detailed i can make it better tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
AEBS sleeves. roughly 600 per sleeve install so id guess 1000-1200 to take out n put into a different block if anything i'd say use it and hope for the best but clean up/repair the ghetto half assed areas and you should be good

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Id check the bearings, clean it up, helicoil and run that bitch....

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
The stripped bolt holes are a simple fix, If a Heli-coil or Kingsert will not do the job there are some other creative ways that care cheaper than the above kits.

You may have to heat the block up to get the sleeves to fall out.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
A member here has been trying to sell NEW Darton sleeves for a long time w/zero interest, so I doubt you'll be able to sell used sleeves in a reasonable time for more than the B20. Your best bet is to fix the mount holes. A little welding & inserts and it will be fine.

If it doesn't have the dip stick hole on the pump, it's probably configured to be a Z6. That's really the only difference between the bare blocks. If you put a Z6 crank, pump, head, and timing parts on it then it's effectively a Z6 with no dip stick. With some balls of steel (and practice on an old block) I'm sure you could add a hole for a dip stick in the block.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
If it doesn't have the dip stick hole on the pump, it's probably configured to be a Z6. That's really the only difference between the bare blocks. If you put a Z6 crank, pump, head, and timing parts on it then it's effectively a Z6 with no dip stick. With some balls of steel (and practice on an old block) I'm sure you could add a hole for a dip stick in the block.
I think you can run a d17 valve cover and dipstick to remedy this problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts