Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
04 F150,00 ITR, CIVI
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions

1)I have a d15b vtec (jdm) sitting on an engine stand that I picked up for a few $$$. Anyways I was wondering if it would be worth it to pickup a new oil strainer when I bought a new oil pump,water pump, ect or atleast try to thourely clean the strainer thats on the motor in an attempt to get as much debree could could be in the engine out.

I have pulled the head and pan already and inspected (no visual indications of anything wrong) I just want to be causious. I however do not wat to pull the pistons and rods out.

2)This is kinda a machine shop question. When I take my head to the machine shop to get cleaned up (decked) do I nee to take the valves out prior to or do they take them out or do they stay in during the machining process?

Thanks very much

·
Registered
487 Posts
If your replacing the oil pump you might as well replace the strainer. Your going to need a new gasket for the strainer anyway. Where did you pick the motor up from?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
A new gasket for the oil pick-up, yes...the actually oil pick-up can just be flushed out using break clean. Look up in there for metal shavings crammed in the corners though.

·
Registered
04 F150,00 ITR, CIVI
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your replacing the oil pump you might as well replace the strainer. Your going to need a new gasket for the strainer anyway. Where did you pick the motor up from?
I picked it up from a friend of a friend. When I got it I relaized the cam gear key had broken off the cam gear so I pulled the head off to see if there had been engine failure. Everything looked ok (valves look straight and no indents in the piston, ect) So I decided to replace maintance parts at the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts