Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JCwhitney catalog and there are some Unorthodox underdrive pullys. It claims to be giving out up to 40 hp and 50 pounds of tourque at the wheels. Is there any way this could be true, and is the $350 worth it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ur Pulley

i got the single ur pulley and my motor has been fine. been using it for about a year now. i dont know if it could make that much power on a na car but maybe on a turbo car. i do notice the rpm band climbs faster then it use to. i wish i could take it to the dyno but jst dnt have the time.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ouch. my balls just tensed up seeing that.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
the UO kits includes a LW crank pulley, AEM kits do not.

AEM used to sell the crank pulleys, but pulled them off the market for obvius reasons.

LW ALT and PS pullies won't hurt anything, but won't help much.

More gain by going to a light flywheel.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is from crank pulleys????????? those bearings have corbon deposites from bad oil and running to hot. what makes under drive pulleies so baD

·
Want access???
98 Hx Coupe
12,304 Posts
transzex said:
the UO kits includes a LW crank pulley, AEM kits do not.

AEM used to sell the crank pulleys, but pulled them off the market for obvius reasons.

LW ALT and PS pullies won't hurt anything, but won't help much.

More gain by going to a light flywheel.
thanks transzex ... just wanted to make sure nothing was going to happen. flywheel is on the list of things to do .thanks

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
D16's use a rubber damper on the crank pulley because of the harmonics of the long stroke.......

"Harmonic Damper"

Without smoothing the harmonics the main bearings are beaten to death.

Same motor as above, 30,000 miles later with correct pulley and 25 bottle of nitrous thru the motor...........

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is true for SOHC D series, but DOHC D series (D16A1 or ZC), you can change your crank pulley with no problem, since it's pulley is just a steel pulley, no any damping function.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
It's not giving any power of engine, but liberate some of accessories requirement. I will leave my crank pulley alone, and juste change alternator/p-steering ratio, I'll maybe see about 3-5whp difference with N/A setup no more ! Lightening those ones is better for fast spining engine like flywheel. Keep in mind: ratio and weight who give different things...

For your information, lightening balancer like pulley, and flywheel, is more appreciate by N/A engine instead of turbo. Turbo engine need to drop off slower to keep turbo spooling. N/A needs to rev high quickly and may drop quickly too. 2 differents worlds of driving, tuning, building...

:)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
from what i heard about these lw crank pully is that. the engine is balanced wit the stock crank pully and when u lighten something like that and put a lighter one it of balances the crank and the bearings so its not sitting even.and there for u have bearings that look like that

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Wrong again.

The engine is balanced WITHOUT the HARMONIC dampener. The rubber ring helps to DAMPEN the harmonics for the long stroke crank that the D16 uses, longer than even the B series stroke!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts