1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a underdrivepulley from my buddie for my d15b dx
is it worth puting it on?
i also herd it was bad for ur motor?

·
Registered
636 Posts
i got pulleys from AEM... 80 K miles on them... talks for it self... worth it ?!.. yeah if cheap !?.. overall wgt. is lowered by like 4 punds.. if you are lucky :) and have the same effect like flywheel..just like 1000/1 ...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what motor are u running?

and that 80k is that doging it or daily driveing?

and arnt the stock underdrive pulleys weight for balance?

·
Registered
636 Posts
<<<<< that is what motor im running :) (see avantar)
seen lot of autoX / 1/4 mile ect. and i driver like a child on acid...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
AEM underdrive pulleys use the stock crank pulley, therefore no engine damage. You replace the ALT pulley and PS pulley if you have it.

The only issue that will arise, battery not fully charging at low rpms. You sit at idle with heater/rear def/headlight going, your ALT may not keep up. Add in a killer sound system, your screwed.

Besides, the best gains I've seen on a SOHC was only 3-4 whp, not worth the $$$ for so little gain. I also run a MSD 6AL, which LOVES to have 14.4-14.6 volts all the time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
you DONT gain power from pulleys and flywheels... tought every one would know this by noww... urban lengend is what it is

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
but you are wrong there, you do gain useable power by using the pulleys, less drag from spinning the accessorys slower..........it it worth it, nope.

MyblkVTEC, put your stock crank pulley back on..........or else your gonna find gold in the oilpan!

·
Registered
636 Posts
you dont gain power.. you have what you have, you engine just spinds easyer !!.. i know this... you cant gain power from nothing.. yes your engine uses energy on spinding all kinda stuff.. but not like you can see on dyno !.. my car had 132 before pulleys and flywheel.. and 132 after...

·
0 Posts
my power steering pulley(AEM) got all chewed up one day(forgot to torque down the nut-my fault)then i just removed the entire power steering all together(which probably helped out more than the pulley with the weight reduction). so all i have on now is the alternator pulley, and i dont like it, will be going back to stock this spring. tired of seeing my lights get brighter as the engine speeds up, and dimming when i slow down. Not necessary mods IMO, but i got those when i was younger and dumber.

from Mista B.."MyblkVTEC, put your stock crank pulley back on..........or else your gonna find gold in the oilpan!"

no shit, those things(y8's) spin rod bearings an awful lot, and that pulley is not helping that issue at all. bet ya already have the gold in the oilpan, and not the good kind. hope you can get another engine at a good price, might as well go ahead and pick one up.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
A year ago I would have been all over the AEM pulleys like white boys on rice parts. Even thought I don't have a stereo or things to worry about draining my alternator and I won't drive my EG in the winter, I don't like the idea of underdriving my electrical system. I don't have any formal exp with crank pulleys or the bottom end problems people have with them but if you think about it, a race engine gets rebuilt all the time. Thus the bearing failure issues, which seem to be the common problem with aftermarket crank pulleys, aren't an issue in an engine that is torn down and has its bearings replaced after a certain number of races.

If you want to free up some power, the best bang for your buck while keeping driveability and longevity of your engine (lots of crank pulley horror stories to be found out there) I would suggest saving your money, remove your power steering and buy one of the P/S removal kits that Chris S. a.k.a. Padawan from H-T sells. I'm planning to buy one for next year when I take the engine out to work on. Here's a link:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=563116

The EG kit is only $68USD plus shipping and is modest in comparison to the price of the accessory pulley, crank pulley or an entire set like Unorthodox sells. In addition to saving money, you'll save weight from the removal of the pump and resevoir and no longer have the usual parasitic drag on the engine from the pump pulley.

I dont believe the alternator pulley is that tough to turn in the first place since the shaft is on bearings and the unit itself doesn't have to move or pressurize fluid like the P/S pump. Last time I checked there was no resistance to generate electricity or conduct it ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
some d-series motors have the harmonic balancer in the oil pump so you shouldnt have to worry about ruining your rotating assembly with the addition of an UD pulley.. although, make sure its a quality piece and even try to have it somewhat ballanced before installing it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
what kind of load of bull is that?????????

ANYONE, show me a SOHC oil pump with a harmonic balancer in it.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
the pulley that I got wasnt much lighter, it was the same size too, I dont have my old pulley, can anyone get me one then???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts