Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 CRX Si D16A6 I'm gonna build it and boost it. Noob so go easy on me. Most I have ever done on my cars is replace a radiator, water pump, starter,etc. Gonna be a challenge to say the least. Was going to do motor swap, bseries:shoot: and then ran into this forum.:punk: Now I am thinking motor rebuild for boost(bottom end rebuild kit from RCautoworks), new action clutch, m factory lsd, and a tranny rebuild. I'm shootin for a 300hp Boosted D!

Here is the damage done so far- Removed engine and tranny, separated them, removed clutch, removed flywheel, started taking everything off the motor I could and got to this point. The book is talkin TDC jargon and it looks like I am gonna have to do some reading. Already took distributor off see that was probably a noob mistake:uh:. Will I be ok just keeping on taking things apart as is or do I have to find TDC? Thats my question to figure out!

UncleSam
Boosted D Soldier Wannabe

Attachments

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
you can find top dead center easily if you have the head off or remove a spark plug and look in the hole at the piston top ( if you know what your looking at and aligning the tdc mark on the crank) if you dont get it to tdc before you take it all apart and you put it back together wrong you will bend valves in the head thats no fun.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
These guys got you on point, if this is over your head still the yeah keep reading. You sound like you get the idea of study first then ask though. Keep at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found TDC

Found TDC for the pistons and head. Thanks for yer help fellow soldiers.:cowboy: After finding TDC took the timing belt off the cam gear and took the head off. How do I get that pulley off without it spinning and messing up TDC? Clutch came:biggrin:! Gonna try and get this thing all the way apart by the end of this weekend and have it in the machine shop by Monday:boink:. When the machine shop cleans your head do you disassemble before you take it to them or leave it all together? Do I need any special tool to take it all the way apart? Thanks for stoppin by!

UncleSam
Boosted D Soldier Wannabe

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Civic ex
31 Posts
^ thats how I removed mine. I had my engine on a stand and locked a tranny bolt in between the flywheel and mount.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I don't understand why you want to keep it tdc? Just take the head off, make sure to take the head bolts out in the correct sequence. Don't worry about the timing, just take the head off before you do anything else.

The distributer usually has wear marks where the bolts go, and you can just line it back up when you put it back on, no big deal.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
im always glad to see someone boost there D instead of doing a B or K swap. A lil boost in a CRX goes a long way since its so light. im only running a DSM T25 in mine @ 10psi and the car scoots along well. what size turbo have you decided to go with?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I found the best way to get the CP bolt off is to put a breaker bar on there, let it dangle straight down, and just wack that mother fucker with the biggest dead blow hammer you can find. It always works!

That thing looks fucked!

·
Registered
75 Posts
jeez, never seen that before.

That bolt is the worst. I used the tool that stops the pully. That, some heat and ALOT of leverage!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Machine Shop Monday

Got the motor all the way a part. Taking it to machine shop on Monday. Block notched,bored, and cleaned. Head is getting cleaned and checked. Thinking about springs and retainers maybe a valve job.:punk::punk:

UncleSam
Boosted D Wannabe

Attachments

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
i always jam the flywheel with something and use my leg power on a breaker bar.

as for turbo sizes you don't want to go to small or too big. with a DSM T25 im seeing 10psi at 3,000rpm and its good for a street car but top end isn't to great, but than again I do need a bigger exhaust. most people just jump onto a t3/t4 cause its so common. I was planning to get a T28 as an upgrade but I came across a DSM 16G that I traded for an amp....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Machine Shop Monday

Dropped block, head, and flywheel off today. Gettin a head job:bj2:,block-honed, cleaned, notched, and the flywheel resurfaced. Crank is getting micro polished too.:punk: Messaged local tuner and asked him what he recommended for engine management; Get a chipped ecu and Hondata S300, $675 was his price for both. What is the easiest? Don't want to mess with that much, seems confusing. Would like something where I could just switch chips from BEAST MODE to mouse mode. They said it would be about a week until they will be done with my motor so gonna work on tranny this week; LSD and rebuild here I come:punk:!

UncleSam
Boosted D Wannabe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts