Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
To dual boot is a bit tricky depending what program you use.

I wasnt please with my brief experience with Ubuntu, but I honestly didnt spend much time with it.

My fav is Mepis; easy, straightforward, and you can boot off the cd and not install it.

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
Im tri-booting my iMac... OS X, XP, Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a PITA to get into because of my setup, so I rarely use it.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
i was having issues with my video card drivers, but i know how to fix it, just havent gotten around to doing it yet. just a driver to update.
Those can be tricky.

I have a Radeon x1600, and the ATI drivers and Catalyst Control Center works perfectly for me. I haven't been able to get my TV tuner to work, though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Im using Ubuntu permanently. I love Linux. I dont think ill ever switch back... Except for tuning software on a notebook or something.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Im using Ubuntu permanently. I love Linux. I dont think ill ever switch back... Except for tuning software on a notebook or something.
I couldn't do that. A lot of the software I use is Win2000/XP only. Also, since I'm still a Linux n00b, I like to have the option of using WinXP if worse comes to worse.

However, there's always Wine for some applications, and you can even emulate WinXP from within Ubuntu.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I couldn't do that. A lot of the software I use is Win2000/XP only. Also, since I'm still a Linux n00b, I like to have the option of using WinXP if worse comes to worse.

However, there's always Wine for some applications, and you can even emulate WinXP from within Ubuntu.
Yup VMWare.... works great i use it to play full tilt poker when im bored. Haha Wine wont load it up so i said what the hell vmware it. I can play Counter Strike Source at 100+ fps on here using Cedega

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Yup VMWare.... works great i use it to play full tilt poker when im bored. Haha Wine wont load it up so i said what the hell vmware it. I can play Counter Strike Source at 100+ fps on here using Cedega
Yeah, I will have to look into Win32 emulation more. The only thing I'm doing is using ndiswrapper for the wireless driver on my laptop.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Theres no linux driver for it? What Chipset is it?
I searched the Netgear site, but I couldn't find anything. I think it's a WG511 or something like that. It's a PCMCIA wireless networking card.

I also had to use ndiswrapper for my USB wireless adapter at home. It's a Netgear MA111.

·
Great example of a n00b
278 Posts
if you got the CPU/Memory Power..
just do Virtual Machines.

Xen/VirtualPC/VMware/Parallels

Less headaches... you don't like the OS.. just kill it.. install again.

·
Great example of a n00b
278 Posts
serious if you want to learn Linux..
learn to install a source distro linux such as Gentoo, Stage 1
(it going to take some time to install since everything is compiled from scratch. everything)

use Fedora/Ubuntu, as a way to quickly install a distro and learn to setup such service iptables/apache/mysql/X/sendmail/php/NIS/nfs/samba/ldap/bind/etc

Do on a virtual machine so if you screw up.. you just delete the virtual machine and start over.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to use my little brothers old computer that he doesnt use anymore and doesnt care about. That way if I fuck something up it wont be that big of a deal. I just just reformat everything and start all over.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts