Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lastnight I was driving like an arsehole on the snow coverec side streets. I pulled off of one snowy street and onto a main road that was clear. The tires were spinning a bit and when it hit dry pavement something let go. I figured it was the inner spline on the left side cause the axel popped out and leaked some oil out. No big deal because in true Honda drag racer fashion I have 5 sets of spare axels.

Further inspection this morning revealed that the driveshaft was fine and the spider gear inside the tranny let go. (GAY) I have a spare tranny but it is in pieces because I welded the spiders together on it and just never got around to put it back together. My only option is I guess to put the other one together or just swap final drives.

What I wanted to know is that I read that a jdm ZC tranny has a shorter final drive ratio than a USDM Si tranny. Will it fit or does it use different axels. My buddy needs a tranny for his H so we have to go down to Toronto and pick one up. I was wondering if it was worth picking up the ZC one. I am not to sure but is the code on it XSI or something to that effect? Just wondering?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does that just drop in or do I need to change the bottum gear on the secondary shaft to fit. Further reading also told me that the splines on a XZI are different from a regular Si. Rendering my spare axels useless!

·
Random Hero
Range Rover
2,624 Posts
in true Honda drag racer fashion I was driving like an arsehole
i fixed that for ya ;)

XSI would be a b-series tranny, no?

I wouldn't know from experience, but the zc final drive is supposed to be pretty sweet in the si tranny.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
i fixed that for ya ;)

XSI would be a b-series tranny, no?

I wouldn't know from experience, but the zc final drive is supposed to be pretty sweet in the si tranny.
yup b16 trans in the 90-93 teggys i miss mine:mad:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it the XZI than?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
Zxi = DOHC ZC Teggie, big axles, only gearing difference is the FD.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Than that means moving the alternator somewhere's else I suppose. I'll see tomorrow. I'll split the tranny tomorrow and throw a final drive in there for now. I kinda need a car to get back and forth to work.

I called my auto parts place in Toronto but he speaks some foreign language and it is hard for us to understand each other.. I'll just have to go down there myself and see what he has!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It has nothing to do with the alternator, the tranny uses an intermediate shaft and equal length axels.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. Then where does the intermidiate shaft bolt. Something tells me that it is right where the alternator goes? If this is incorrect please explain because than I will jump all over it because that means I can finally get stage 3 axels from axel guy because those are the only d axels he has!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
D15 = no midshaft, what block you running?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D16A6

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Back of the block, just above the bottom rail about in the middle. You can't miss it if the holes are machined to fit the shaft.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I quess there is no clearence issue for the alternator?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If there wasen't when the factory installs it, why would there be any issues now.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ummmm. My car never came from the factory with an intermediate shaft. I have never work on a ZC nor looked at one that closely. All I know is that the alternator on my d is a straight shot in line with the input for the axel. Now the original one just clears under the alternator. All I need is a picture or better explanation than "duh it fits". Maybe I am just stupid but remember that i have a D16A6 block not a D16A1 or whatever a ZC is!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
US D16A6 came with a midshaft from the factory, it fits!!!

Just had to buy a Civic Wagon RTAWD to get it :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Canadian cars are gay.. I don't understand why there is so much difference between the two just because there is a line between us. Sorry for the hastle I have only worked on H's with intermediate shaft and the alternator is on the friont of the motor.

Too make this better today I was 3 bolts from dropping the tranny while I was fiddling with that one starter bolt that is a pain to get to. Had an impact with an extension and a swivel and one thing lead to another. Needless to say trip to the hospital for x-rays cause my finger was the size of a golf ball. I also invented some new swear words. Nothing broken but they popped it with the high tech heat the paperclip up and stick it through the nail. Now I have to recruit a chum to help me finish or at least till the swelling goes down.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
ya b's have intermediate shafts and the alternator is on the back. it should clear no problem, but i guess it just seems like to much work for me. i would just find another SI trans.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts