Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on which of the two I should send to the machinist for a micro-polish...which do you think? Both came out of a running Z6 and both look good and the bearings were prefect. Thought/opinions?

Crank #1 :

Crank #2 :

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your opinion bro...keep 'um coming! I'm guess though it'll turn out that I'll just take both to the machinist and him check them out and him pick the best of both. We'll see!

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
they both look like there in pretty good shape... have someone hold the first one over your forehead, and the other one over your balls... and drop them from 3 feet , which ever one makes you cry more, go with that one

·
Registered
643 Posts
Can't tell just by looking.
you can check for any cracks on a forged cranks by slightly "pinging" it off concrete floor, if not pinging then it might have a crack (doubt it cause it's forged)

you can mic each of the journals or crank pins and check for out of round and taper and use the squarest unit

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
they both look like they got some funky shit goin on with them so honstley idk, id measure them both and see which one comes out better

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
i say #1, it looks a little cleaner and doesnt have as much blemished spots....to me anyways.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
see i think 2 is cleaner but 1 has less blemishes thats why i said measure and go from there

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
you cant tell, take it to a machine shop and have them mic it out. Take the better one have the oil holes chamfered (And crossdrilled if not allready) Depending upon your rpm range, lightening of the crank is also a good idea for high rpm racing, Not good for daily driving.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I would buy a good micrometer, measure the journals myself, then use whatever block would give the easiest target bearing clearances. Screw looks. If there is nothing wrong with either of them, use which ever one gives you the easiest clearances.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
for people naming which one is better by looking at pics are just guessing.... they both came out of running motors. both didnt have spun bearings. therefore take any one to the machine shop, and have them polish it.. the end.. also, those cranks are balanced from the factory.. you will have to supply them with your flywheel, and pretty much everything for them to balance it which will get a little pricey... its a great idea for all motor/high revving engines, but isnt required for a basic build

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
We got a winner ding ding ding!

for people naming which one is better by looking at pics are just guessing.... they both came out of running motors. both didnt have spun bearings. therefore take any one to the machine shop, and have them polish it.. the end.. also, those cranks are balanced from the factory.. you will have to supply them with your flywheel, and pretty much everything for them to balance it which will get a little pricey... its a great idea for all motor/high revving engines, but isnt required for a basic build

·
Registered
537 Posts
run your fingernails along the journals. if your nails get caught on some gouges, then dont use that crank. If they all check out ok and they seem smooth as you run your nails along the journals, then theyre good to go.

get the crank micropolished.

·
Registered
455 Posts
take one to the shop, and polish the other one yourself with emery cloth. maybe you can learn something why not?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
run your fingernails along the journals. if your nails get caught on some gouges, then dont use that crank. If they all check out ok and they seem smooth as you run your nails along the journals, then theyre good to go.

get the crank micropolished.
ehh. using a penny is much better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts