Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday I removed my passenger seat and literally drove from lake to lake.

And picked up these. Two SI trans. One is set up for fun with Detent springs..the other is stock.

And scored a new Gates timing belt in the deal.

The deal was so good, it was worth the drive. I spent under 200 bucks with gas included. I think it was the coolest thing I did all summer. Now I can forget about the bent shift fork that is in the trans I am rocking and get back to shifting without frustration.

I also learned that my Z6 build is totally road trip worthy.

Attachments

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
I've never seen a bent shift fork.

Does the Red Y8 EX transmission have an OBX in it? If so I built it, before 2006.

Also, only one of the three images you posted appear due to Google images sucking.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it does. That was the bonus trans...so I really haven't gone over it yet other than checking it for shaft play really quickly. They came from Holland / Grand Rapids..

I'm going out to the garage in a little while...so I will give it a good lookover and report back.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your shift fork isn't bent.
I think I should have re-re-posted about that being an old joke.

Anyway, I bought an Si trans from a dude a while back...and the
thing grinds between 1-2 and 2-3...Makes me feel like I'm a noob when
I'm shifting. "The bent shift fork"...

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never seen a bent shift fork.

Does the Red Y8 EX transmission have an OBX in it? If so I built it, before 2006.

Also, only one of the three images you posted appear due to Google images sucking.

No OBX. However, something is telling me that this trans isn't what it seems. I have the feeling it was built up and then possibly un-built. Not positive...just a gut feeling. I believe there may be mysteries inside. A caper!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
Different trans than the one I built, the casting code is indexed differently.

If the 3-4 fork is worn, I have replacements along with 3-4 hubs and sliders.

I bought 5 sets....

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, dude!

I was actually thinking - Now that I actually have a spare EX trans that doesn't have to be in my car, I could bring it to you and finally pay ya' to make the trans I've always wanted. I've never had an extra EX/SI trans around. Ever. It's always HAD to be in the car I was driving.

Would also give me a reason to bring those slushies to you if you wanted them.

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
Detent springs?

So yesterday I removed my passenger seat and literally drove from lake to lake.

And picked up these. Two SI trans. One is set up for fun with Detent springs..the other is stock.

And scored a new Gates timing belt in the deal.

The deal was so good, it was worth the drive. I spent under 200 bucks with gas included. I think it was the coolest thing I did all summer. Now I can forget about the bent shift fork that is in the trans I am rocking and get back to shifting without frustration.

I also learned that my Z6 build is totally road trip worthy.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only slushies I mess with a nearly frozen Beast Ice cans.
I can arrange that...

That sounds like an awesome summer trip. Damn, what a great deal. Are you planning on putting an LSD in the red tranny?
Dude, I have not taken any kind of road trip by myself since before my boy was born. Felt good to just drive.

Yeah, the other one is going straight into my current engine bay. My current trans is the first trans I've ever picked up with grinds. Drivin' me MAD. Never had a trans with grinds in my life. I now understand the sanity testing frustration of a trans with grinds.

Yep, I plan to build up the red one. Nice to finally have a spare EX or SI trans that can be worked on without it being a rush. I also want an HF 5th gear. That's one thing I miss about my old HF. Doing 75 mph on the freeway at 1100rpm. Hah.

nice to get in and out with the goods.
Goddam right! I was just making plans to do the timing belt too.

Detent springs?
I think the former owner meant that it had been upgraded with Speedfactory (or equivalent) Detent springs. Says it shifts really nice. To be honest, as long as it doesn't grind, I don't give a shit. Dude seems pretty legit so I'm not too worried about any surprises.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
S20/S40 non Del Dol Si 5th is .702. HF 5th is .694. With the same final drive the HF 5th lowers cruising RPM by 50. It makes no difference at all. Unless you have one laying around not worth it. If you do have one laying around, sell it to a hyper miler and profit.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
S20/S40 non Del Dol Si 5th is .702. HF 5th is .694. With the same final drive the HF 5th lowers cruising RPM by 50. It makes no difference at all. Unless you have one laying around not worth it. If you do have one laying around, sell it to a hyper miler and profit.
They will pay nicely for those HF 5th's, sold all mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts