Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I got a T3/T4 turbo civic w/ stock D16 motor.

Now its running at 7.25psi. The turbo starts opening at 3500RPM, and full boost comes at 4500+.

The power I get at the high engine revs is really nice, but I want power either at the low range RPM.

I have a JRSC kit laying around, and I wonderd how that stuff will work with the current turbo.

I found this thread Dual-Sequential Chargers - Page 7 - Honda-Tech
describing exactly how to connect the JRSC with the turbo, so there won't be any boost conflicts.

I thought about running the JRSC at 6 psi and turbo at 10psi.

What do you guys think about this setup running at pretty low boost? Will the engine hold up the low end torque?

Will that setup be correct for my needs, or I better go with a smaller and faster spool turbo (I don't want to hurt the high range power)?

Any help will be appriciated.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Run the JRSC at low boost, this is where it will be most efficient.
This has been discussed in length. Youre basically improving scavenging, which will help make power and prevent detonation.
It will also allow you to run a bigger turbo without sacrificing spool.

Im not sure what that guy on HT was thinking with that bypass. He basically gave up on running the compressors sequentially in favor of a parallel setup which has none of the advantages I just listed (other that spool). The scavenging is what makes this an interesting idea.

Tuning will be key to making it hold together. At 10 psi on that turbo you are probably pushing the limits of the stock bottom end.
I wouldnt bother with trying this on a stock bottom end. Youre going to need some boost to get both compressors to be efficient, likely 15+ psi.

Time to start working on a built bottom end I think...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if I wasn't accurate about the smaller turbo part. I meant, is a smaller turbo is a better way to go, instead of twincharged setup?

Anyways, someone told me the the turbo will limit the JRSC efficiency because it blocks the exhaust and makes backpressure. How much it will limit the JRSC power?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It wont.

But yes, I agree that on a stock bottom end you would be better off just getting a smaller turbo. Itll give you the powerband you want and it will be lighter and simpler.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
If you're keeping a stock engine I agree to the smaller turbo. Twincharged is a badass idea though.... Just not practical in your case

·
Registered
773 Posts
Little build (internals, injectors, etc) Little turbo. It seems like a little much for an all stock bottem end to handle. Question is how long do you want to keep driving a boosted stock single cam?

·
Registered
49 Posts
^ this. The idea of twincharging my hatch popped into my head one day, did a little little searching and found that the Enmo crew has already done so in quite spectacular fashion

·
Registered
295 Posts
i'm working on a twin charged setup as well, but mines on a DOHC Zc and mines built, but i had to finish my house first. The new year will start my project though, looking forward to spring

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would just say nitrous and a big turbo is the best bang for the buck a friend of mine did a b16 with a holset hx35 made 19psi at 2200rpm lol but to make a twincharge work well it takes lots of time and good fab skills

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
wasntthe a car like this on this site if i where you i would look for that person who owns the twin charge and ask them some questions

·
Registered
108 Posts
I dont think this is too easy of a task I think there are a lot of hurdles to get over but Im sure once it's finished all the work would make it worth it. Either way gl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts