Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toying with the idea of twin d16's in my crx powered by automatic transmissions! I was just wondering if anyone has wired a shift controller up to one of the d16 autos before? I figured the solenoids could be piggy backed thus having the transmissions work in sequence. Versus trying to set up an elaborate set of shifting forks for the manuals. Obviously these motors wouldn't be overpowered probably 200hp a piece so that the transmissions wouldn't explode. Chances are they would both be ran on bike carbs like my current set up minus the turbo lol. I have seen a thread somewhere a while ago somebody had ran toggle switches to the solenoids :p So I really don't see it being an issue but just curious if anyone has controlled an auto trans with a electronic shift controller!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I would I totally agree lol! But problem being over the past 8 years owning this car I have come to aquire a small junk yard. If you hadn't guessed all d parts lol. I figure 400 whp awd in a crx is more than enough to have some fun any who. I'm more about the novelty of the build and being different anywho. Hense the katana1100 cv carbs and t25 turbo the car has now. Granted it's ugly as sin I still love her! But I just recently moved to Florida and will now have all the time in the world to do all the work I've wanted to for years!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Unless you feel like destroying cv shafts and transmissions, I suggest NOT using automatics.
You cannot just piggyback the signals. each engine WILL have different temperatures, engine load, coolant temps, air temps, and Map sensor data.

Each transmission would be struggling to be in identical gears. On top of that you have the TCM deciding if it needs to make the lockup solenoid do its thing.

Ticking time bomb. At least you would get pretty damn fast at changing transmissions.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Cable adjustment for the shift firmness, there are no electronics to deal with.
lockup solenoid is electric. Not vacuum or cable controlled.

Kickdown is cable, yes.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
lockup solenoid is electric. Not vacuum or cable controlled.

Kickdown is cable, yes.
Worried about cruising in a twin engined CRX? I think not. Wasn't hooked up on my 91 EX with OBD-1 ECU and it made the car BETTER!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Worried about cruising in a twin engined CRX? I think not. Wasn't hooked up on my 91 EX with OBD-1 ECU and it made the car BETTER!
is it reversed on OBD0? my 97 needs it plugged in to drop rpms on the highway.

Technically wasnt "unplugged" just rat-chewed wiring, damn rodents. Car was able to drop rpms and shift smoother once wiring was fixed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
not reversed, just not needed.

Now if I was boosted, and I planned on it, it would have been really fun with an unlocked/loose converter. Faster spool :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
isnt locking used for preventing tq converter fluid to circulate all the time and get hot?
I thought driving w/o lock is like driving with a clutch slightly disengaged?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just make 2 completely independant drivetrains. Who cares if they shift at exactly the same time?

Honestly staggered shifting would probably provide less of a jerk and be less likely to upset the balance of the car in a corner etc.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
isnt locking used for preventing tq converter fluid to circulate all the time and get hot?
I thought driving w/o lock is like driving with a clutch slightly disengaged?
The main reason would be to improve gas mileage while cruising. I haven't heard anything about additional heat.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
If the torque converter is, er, converting torque then it's generating heat. A stock Honda Civic converter unlocked shouldn't be too bad but a stall converter will generate quite a lot of heat if you're driving around unlocked all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts