Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a twin cam head from a d16a1 work on a d16y8 block, just putting this our there. I am beginning the build process on a y8 and have this head and just looking at all the different things I could or could nor do.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Never going to happen, just stick with the Y8 head.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Will a twin cam head from a d16a1 work on a d16y8 block, just putting this our there. I am beginning the build process on a y8 and have this head and just looking at all the different things I could or could nor do.
it's been done, but for the cost of the work, labor, time, you're better off buying the whole d16a1 and rebuliding it the way you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have both a DOHC D16a1 and an SOHC D16y8,and The A1 has a broken cam and also has pm7 pistons which I am using on the Y8 biuld with a two layer y8 headgasket. DID a compression calculator on this setup and came up with a 13.09:1 cpmpression with a displacement of 1590.59.

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
Doesn't the A1 head have a bunch of vaccum lines running off it that are kinda critical or something. I can't remember why a bunch of people told me not to EVER EVER EVER use the A1 in a newer car. Dunno best to get yourself a old 87 CRX and throw that A1 in it.

Dysturbed
not true because the a1 is just like every other D when it comes to vacume line and wireing.

but it has been done at my school the kid did all the maching him self and put a built y8 block and a a1 head and boosted it but its not worth it. just build the y8.

RC

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I have both a DOHC D16a1 and an SOHC D16y8,and The A1 has a broken cam and also has pm7 pistons which I am using on the Y8 biuld with a two layer y8 headgasket. DID a compression calculator on this setup and came up with a 13.09:1 cpmpression with a displacement of 1590.59.
where did you find a compression calc with the dohc zc head?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry cant find the link, thought i save it, i did a google search om { compression calculator} and find one. will like for the link later if I find it i will post it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I would definately say that you need to find your parts and rebuild that D16A1, cause that will be your best bet. I have run both engines, and will never go back... Right now I am running a D16A9 which is basically the same, and I love it.... But that is just my two cents worth....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts