Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Iwas so skeptical on these headlight restore kits, but I was in michigan the other day and stopped in at autozone and they had this product for $10. So I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot, worst case scenario Im out 10 bucks and my headlights cant get any worse right? Well I'm completely amazed at how well this product works, I was thinking on posting a DIY for it but the instructions on the box are pretty straight forward, anyways heres some before and after pics just to show how well it turned out

Before............

After the turtle wax restore kit

And I didnt use any sort of buffing tool or anything just a handful of old rags, not too bad IMO, and btw, i am aware my civic needs some body work, that is currently number 1on my list, just getting the funds together

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Since you didn't use any type of sand paper or a buffer of any sort I would almost bet they go back to looking like they did before after a month or so. I used the 3M kit that comes with the sanding pads and the drill adapter that worked awesome and was only like $25 but it took almost a hour. Let us know how long that last.

They do look good I have to give that to ya

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I did use the sanding pads that came with the kit but I was actually wondering how long it will take for them to start looking like crap again too, only time will tell, I will keep you updated tho, cheers

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
The 3m kit I used was on a car I sold seen it a few days ago lights still look good and I did them back in early January 2012 or late December 2011

·
Registered
honda 400ex
1 Posts
I just sued the 3m kit on my new civic. My father buys a lot of used cars and that 3m headlight kit is a must for all used cars. They honestly make a car look soooo much better. Im sure the turtle wax kit gets the same results just like you have shown.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's been justabout a month now since i used the turtle wax kit and so far my headlights still look great, the only problem is now im always looking at other peoples headlights thinking, geeze they need to get that fixed lol

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
it's been justabout a month now since i used the turtle wax kit and so far my headlights still look great, the only problem is now im always looking at other peoples headlights thinking, geeze they need to get that fixed lol
I think the same thing while looking at cars on used cars lots. It would really help the sale value if at least the headlights were buffed out even if it only last 6 months.

My CRV has a little damage on them, no need for a FULL kit. I was thinking of trying a $10 kit for AZ or just using the old metal polish trick.

I have $60 in credits at AZ, I'll let them buy it. I'm good at getting my purchase to just barely over $20 to get that free point.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
goes to autozone...splits order into 5 $20 orders....gets $20 credit

manager overides system and dont give a f....i win :)

i have used many kits, they are all the same save 3 levels of sanding paper pads and "glass cleaner" i mean sanding lube...and the buffing compound. first headlight always turns out better than the second cuz my arm get tired and i get to the i dont give an f point....

i wanna try the one that hooks up to the drill

·
Registered
840 Posts
they one that hooks up a a drill works soo well i have one, but also normal toothpaste and the rough side of a spounge work realllly well too

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
i do headlight restoration jobs in my shop. You WILL have that janky oxidation come back within 3months for sure. the best thing for you to do that anyone can do is the 3m kit at auto parts stores. it'll last about 2years and only cost you $22 takes about 15minutes each and all you need is a drill. other than that you'll need lots of sand paper, products and air sanders.

·
Registered
98 hatch
73 Posts
Is it UV/sun stuff that fades the clear coat or is it road debris messing them up? I've heard both. So after I did mine a year ago with a 3m kit I hit it with several coats of clear coat and then kinda polished them.. I really have no idea what I'm doing so I'm sure someone's going to tell me why I'm dumb, but they've looked good for a year and counting now! If it's stupid and it works it can't be that stupid right? maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tryied to use rubbing compound and the result was not that amazing. But you can try it. It is better then nothing.

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
You can also sand with 2000. Buff. Clean with some pre paint stuffs. Then clearcoat. Then all you have to do is wax them every once and a while. Boom done.

·
Registered
EK Sedan
347 Posts
My headlights looked like the ones the OP posted and i did the rubbing compound and they turned out pretty good. Problem is the oxidisation came back after not too long. I just opted to purchase a brand new pair of headlights this time around, hopefully they will last longer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts