Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever I have my heater turned on...it drops my operating temp way down...if I turn the heater off and leave it on the recycled otion it goes back up to normal Op. temp...it seems like hard driving makes my motor run cooler...and idling causes it to heat up a bit...
what I've done so far:
replaced Termo w/ premium one
new fluidyne radiator
new hoses
checked guage plug/wires

it ONLY drops temp with the heater on...otherwise it runs right at normal op temp... I know someone else has had this problem..or knows what the prob is...any ideas guys?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
u sure the temp is really falling, and it's not a prob w/ ur guages?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well the heater core is like a small radiator. It shouldnt drop it alot,only slightly. So i think its normal. You have the larger radiator so tht may have something to do with it.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it sits just below HALF at normal OP. and with the heat on it drops to the LOWEST C notch....there is def. somthing wrong

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I got my old water pump from my D16z6..i'm gonna throw that on and see if it that fixes it...should be done in an hour or so...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When you turn the heater on, it pulls coolant from the motor into the heater core, (which is a radiator) and blows the heat away from it which is then dumped back into the motor keeping it cooler.

You run cooler when you're driving hard because you're getting more air blown through the radiator than the fan can pull (assuming you still have the fan and it works) when you're idling at a standstill.

Example: In the summer time around here it can get up to 110 degrees or more. If I'm stuck in traffic with the A/C on my temp would climb up to the 3/4 mark. If I turned on the heater it would bring the temp back down to around the 1/2 mark.. but it would friggin suck because now it's 200 degrees in the car! Once traffic starts moving and I've got air moving through the radiator at 50-60-80mph it drops back down to the 1/3-1/2 mark and stays. This is normal on just about every liquid cooled car in the world.

The Fluidyne radiator you're using is not necessary for your car. Your mods aren't making your motor run hot enough to justify a huge radiator like that. But that's not really hurting anything as long as your thermostat is operating correctly.

ImportDezigns said:
well I got my old water pump from my D16z6..i'm gonna throw that on and see if it that fixes it...should be done in an hour or so...
Wasting your time.. if you're running cool, the water pump is working fine. If the water pump was dead or problematic you'd be heating up because it's not moving any coolant. Check and/or replace the Thermostat before you dig into the water pump!!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Let us know how it works out ..

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
berettagtz117 said:
Let us know how it works out ..
water pump looks perfect.. I'm seriously running out of ideas...I bled the system there where no bubbles...what should I try next?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ImportDezigns said:
water pump looks perfect.. I'm seriously running out of ideas...I bled the system there where no bubbles...what should I try next?
:-?

·
Registered
910 Posts
There is nothing wrong. I dont know why your worried soo much. With the large radiator and it being colder outside now plus you turning on the heat....it will drop the temps. So put a smaller radiator back in or dont use the heater. If the thermostat is working correctly and everyhting is fine...i wouldnt worry.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but if it's at the lowest C mark isn't that TOO cold???

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think jweltch is pretty much spot on. Of course when you put the heater on the temp will go down, its a well known cure for people who have dodgy cars to have to have them on in the height of summer in a traffic jam to keep the car from boiling over! and obviously there is a hell of a lot more cold air flying around when you are driving hard, as opposed to very little when sitting still. basically, unles there is a dramatic performance loss, i wouldnt lose any sleep over it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts