Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this is something that has been bothering me for a while. I bought a
d16z6 engine, it started having oil pressure problems and I pulled it, tore it down and brought it to the machine shop. The crank was all messed up, way out of tolerance. The machine shop said that they never had an issue with turned Honda cranks and that it should be fine. I did tell them that I was not sure about using that crank. Anyway long story short the crank was grinded 30thousands and used oversized bearings. The clearance is .007 on the journals.

Anyway I had to machine the motor again to fix a few errors they made and when I took the engine out to break it down and sending out it again. The journals looked ok, they where a few marks but if I slid my fingers though them, I couldn’t feel them

The engine runs great, no weird vibrations, revs gracefully but it only has like 15-20 miles. I know the general consensus is that a grinded crank is bad because it takes away that coating but should I really be worried.

·
Registered
224 Posts
if they look ok, are within spec and ur fingernail does not come anywhere near catching on a scar mark, you will be fine, the journals have a hardened surface thats pretty deep, i wouldnt worry about it, hell on a mr2, to build a stroker motor u need to turn down a 5sfe crank like .157 to get a 3sgte rod to fit, and they are plenty hard and put up with well over 700whp

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So it seems its a YAY then,,
verywell then, I shall not worry about it

But I should add that I plan to push this thing to around 450 horses, and I am happy with anything above 280lbs torque

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:pinch: lol
I know the general consensus is that vitara pistons are budget builds, but just because vitaras are in a build does not automatically means your are pinching those pennies :sweatdrop:

I know Vitara pistons are 120 dollars , but the rods, bearings, pumps, gaskets and all the machine work is still the same price as it was running arias pistons. I had my whole motor machined, twice, I picked vitaras because they have been proven reliable. If I throw a rod, the last thing I would care about are the pistons

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Should be good. Don't recommend going any further though because I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a journal that much smaller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts