Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Turbonetics ball bearing t3/t40b turbo in May. Within 300 miles I had ruined it by running to high of psi and basically beating the ever living hell out of it. . I ruined the bearings, both wheels and possibly the compressor housing. I emailed Turbonetics and told them exactly how I caused the damage to the turbo. They had me send it in for a rebuild. 3 weeks later I receive a new turbo. No part of it was rebuilt from my old one. Now that is how you make a customer for life. I had already bought a new one once they said they'd rebuild my old one for free but I didn't expect an all new turbo. They're one year warranty is great with no questions asked. I will now recommend Turbonetics turbos to anyone who asks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The replacement was free?

I don't really understand this part:
I had ruined it by running to high of psi and basically beating the ever living hell out of it. . I ruined the bearings, both wheels and possibly the compressor housing
How do you destroy bearings, comp wheel + housing, and the turbine wheel by running "too high of psi"?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the replacement was free. The turbo was rated at about 22psi max on the d15 and that would be short lived. I was running up around 26-28psi at 8k rpm. It was way out of its efficiency.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
my feeling is, you shouldn't have to send it in, why did it fail in the first place. what size turbo and how much boost?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
my feeling is, you shouldn't have to send it in, why did it fail in the first place. what size turbo and how much boost?
T3T04B 28psi
After talking to turbonetics, 22psi is the max it should go on the d16. It's past its efficiency at that point. Remember I do not drag race these turbos, I road race and hill climb them. 19-20psi seems to be perfect for it as of right now. The t28, disco potato clone, I had failed over 24psi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts