Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey winners. I've tried to do research by searching but didn't come up with a clear cut answer to my question. Is turboing a D16y7 worth it? How will it compare to the Y8? How will the gas mileage be relative to a turbo Y8? Should I even bother or save up for a B16 swap?

(I'm looking to get around 200whp)

Thanks,
J

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
maybe next time you should suggest a z6 or y8 intake manifold. I'm disappointed in you, young man.

so anyways, I was thinking about turboing your mother, any thoughts on this?
ill fight your face!!!

fine, z6 or y8 IM :roll:

·
Registered
99 civic hatch
2,015 Posts
get a y8 intake manifold, and make yourself a homemde kit, you can easily get uppers of 190-200 whp. The y7 has lower compression than the y8, so ou can boost a bit more out of it. get some internals and turn that shit up b-series is overratted

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how will my gas mileage be like? is it worst than the y7 since there won't be vtec for the lower rpms? ive read somewhere that turboing the d7 only if you dont care about gas? ?confused?

·
Banned
752 Posts
With that low of a horsepower goal, I would bet you could still pull 30mpg at full throttle.

·
Random Hero
Range Rover
2,624 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have seen SOOOOO many posts about the y7 manifold flowing like shit. and yes its somewhat true.

BUT

in a mild boosted application this really means little, because ANY restriction in a boosted motor can be substituted/fixed by adding more boost. and in the case of the y7 manifold, restriction IF ANY will be minimal.

if you are building an N/A d-series, then the y7 mani wont be much good for you, but when BOOSTING, like i said, restriction IF ANY can be solved by a minimal increase in boost pressures.

:TU: ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Boost it with a home built kit as it sits, don't change anything, just boost it. It will be a great learning experience for you on an engine that you won't worry too mcuh about if you blow it to smithereens. If you do blow it up, you can replace it cheap and be driving right away.

Then start saving money for the B swap. Plan it all out to be boosted from the very beginning. Use what you learned on the D, to plan out an excellent path on the B. Build the B on an engine stand, and even mock up your turbo stuff. The more you plan / prepare, the easier the final project will be.

When you are ready, do your swap.

When the swap is done, sell off the old boosted D to a friend, with all the old boost gear with it. Use the money to start on your next project a boosted, stroked, GSR, overbored and built to the hilt. Or a race car, or...

You can easilly reach 200with the little D motor.

Craig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what kind of fuel management would be suffice if my goal is right around 200whp?

thanks for all your support, so there is hope for my y7, she is running so strong hate to waste here, we check the compression last night and she's even all across and only 76k miles.

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
U could keep the Y7 Block get PM7 Piston and a Vtec head and run a PW3 or P28 and ur can say Sweet ass (i call it Mini-Me!!!) or do let see what other ppl got to say!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts