Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 civic ex 2dr thats in great condition. I bought it from the original owner of the car that bought it new off the showroom floor in 98. The car came with all the service records over the last 16 years so i think shes good to go. There are some things im going to do before i boost it.

New clutch(still running off the factory 1)
Arp studs
New headgasket

Can u think of anything else i should do before i boost it. Im only looking to run 8lbs on the stock block. I going to piece together the turbo kit and do it right. 440CC injectors, blah blah. Do you think the motor will be ok having such high mileage? Is there anything else i should do in the meantime to help strengthen the motor. I only plan on driving the car like this for around 6-8 months while i buy and build another y8 in the garage to handle 15-20psi.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not understanding what you mean by 8 psi or 15-20 psi.
You pick a TURBO based off of the HP LEVEL you want to achieve.
PSI does not measure power, others will be much harder on you than what is in this post.

Edit: Do not build a y8 unless you know EXACTLY how to prevent spun rod bearings. If you've never done this type of work, don't do it alone the first time unless you have money to throw away. Search for a d16z6 or at the least a z6 crank.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
you will be fine, i boosted my y5 at 182,000 and it made it over 210,000 miles with no problems. im sure it would still be going strong if i hadn't been rear ended. i bought the car with 105,000 and put over 75,000 in 3 years while beating the snot out of it every gear, it still took the turbo great at 182,000.

you will be fine, i didnt do a compression or leak down test. it was a completely stock y5 with no head studs or anything and stock head gasket

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so im planning 8 psi on the stock bottom end to get hopefully around 170-210 whp. Then im buying and building a y8 from the ground up to handle around 325hp thats what i meant to say.

Also what is a leakdown check? ill do the compression check tomorrow. does the y8 have issues with spun bearings on 8lbs? ill be completely rebuilding another one before i crank up the boost and i will be getting a good tune after my install.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Leakdown you pump the cylinders up with air from a compressor, it has two gages one holds while the other bleeds off and it gives you a percentage of leakage, also gives you an idea whats leaking. Just keep your oil full and you will be fine, I ran my y5 down to where vtec would go in and out around turns in boost and still didnt spin a bearing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
almost thanks very much for the info. I be sure to do all the proper testing and tuning before and after. Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why don't you just forget about this engine and spend your money on the y8?
Take your time and build it properly, then when it is good to go drop it in.

I don't see the point in turboing your engine now to only put in another in 6-8 months. This is your first build yeah? So how long do you think it will take you to build your current engine?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oil starvation will cause spun rod bearings.
However, there is a reason why y8's spin bearings more often than z6's. Look up the difference and the answer will be clear. It's not a must, but if you're spending all of that money on a built motor....why not have a great crank? I picked up my mint A6 crank for 75$.

Buy fuel injectors once, buy a turbo once, get it tuned...once.

I see no point in spending hundreds of dollars on a temporary build and then dropping in a built motor, only to need to turn around and buy bigger injectors, bigger turbo, AND another tune.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I boosted a 266k mile z6 for 1000 miles before pulling the turbo kit and selling the car

ran great

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trim 50 .63 t04e. Its the universal one that alot of people use. But the build will be 6-8 months but i will be buying the parts slowly. I like alot of other people on here have other priorities first with my money ie my family and bills but when its all said and done id like to be able to squeeze around 300+ out of my car. so yes i will spend the money to get it turbod now and will rebuild at a different time when money permits it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Turbo it now so you know what a 200 hp honda feels like get bored of it, and then build the block in the meantime thats how it goes pretty much lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^ Thats my exact point lol. I just recently sold my mk4 jetta and it was barely a 15.0 car. So if i can get the honda to 14.5 on the stock bottom end ill be in love for at least 6months-1yr lol I just want to turbo something myself and get my hands dirty and get the experience so when i build a block ill have some knowledge of what goals ill want to reach.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Oil starvation will cause spun rod bearings.
However, there is a reason why y8's spin bearings more often than z6's. Look up the difference and the answer will be clear. It's not a must, but if you're spending all of that money on a built motor....why not have a great crank? I picked up my mint A6 crank for 75$.

Buy fuel injectors once, buy a turbo once, get it tuned...once.

I see no point in spending hundreds of dollars on a temporary build and then dropping in a built motor, only to need to turn around and buy bigger injectors, bigger turbo, AND another tune.
Thats why you buy the stuff for your upper goal first, then you only need to retune. I didnt need 525cc injectors for 166hp d16 but now if I want close to 300 I dont need to upgrade. Besides if your just learning you dont need to jump straight to 300hp, you need to get the feel for the inbetween, who knows maybe 220hp is perfect for him or maybe he wont like the way it handles with to much power?

·
Registered
731 Posts
exactly once I get my vitara block going all I need is get it sent to the machine shop and new gasket kit and I plan to use everything else all over again: stock head, all ready have arp's and use my baller ass precision turbo that is way too nice for my car and make 300 all day. Going to see how much my 450 injectors would like too make too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts