Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a build on here and its like 99.9% done and I'm about to put oil in it and start it, and I've been reading and searching about what oil to use but I've found about 80 different answers!!! I Know to each there own, but I know I don't want to use synthetic oil so that narrows it a little.. I know that in my stock z6 I ran 5w30 but I think that the general consensus is that I need to run a thicker oil with my turbo setup.. so 10w30 or 10w40 ....... and what's with people running delo ? is it because of it has zinc in it? As far as I know zinc helps with lubrication and anti wear right? any help with any of this would be great as well as any help with what would be good oil for my 300-400hp turbo'd z6 would be great.. I'll continue to read and figure some of this out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still confused with the zinc but maybe more research will help me find that too.. lol

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I've used straight 30 non detergent oil on my break-in and flushed it right away after heat cycle. I currently have a 5w 30 pensoil for the first couple hundred miles and as soon as i see the oil to be clear I will be running a Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic which is a high zinc diesel oil. It should help as i will be running an aftermarket cam

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k so have an aftermarket comp turbo cam as well so should I run high zinc oil?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Rotella is the best oil you can use on a turbo motor. it formulated for turbo diesel trucks so it can take a lot of heat and reduces wear. they make synthetic and non synthetic...

we run our tow trucks to 10,000 miles between oil changes on rotella and these trucks run pretty much all day long non stop. our company got them new and these trucks all have over 180,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
Rotella conventional is cheap as hell and better then then most other brands out there.

I used Rotella for break in and every oil change. even at full 17.99 price, its still cheaper. It does go on sale for 12.99 often at Advance and then i stock up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts