Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

If I want to go turbo, can I keep the stock ECU (P28) on the D16Z6 or do I have to replace it (the P28) with another ECU?

I think there should be no problem in keeping the stock ECU, as the ECU does not "see" whether the turbocharger is there, it just reads higher than 14,5psig pressures. So... it should work just fine. Does it?

I understand that there are probably some features, though, like an electronic boost controller, that probably can't be controlled by the P28, right? If this is the sole limitation of the P28, then it's more than fine.
Do you even have boost controllers on your turbocharged D16Z6? Maybe a regular wastegate is all it takes, no?

Thank you guys and sorry for the newbie questions. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
You can keep the ECU but it will have to be modified.

The stock ECU kind of freaks out when you start swapping injectors and going outside the parameters the MAP is designed for. For that matter the stock MAP has trouble when you start throwing boost at is as it is only designed to read atmospheric pressure.

Read the stickies ... check out some builds. There's a wealth of information here if you but take the time to search around.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I would not recommend the stock MAP beyond 6-7psi of boost inside the manifold.

liek above, read the turbocharger forum stickies.

if you are this green to turbo's, I highly suggest avoiding any and all turbo-related purchases until you have a FIRM book knowledge of what you need, the hurdles you will need to overcome, and have read through at least 5-6 build threads to see how people overcame said hurdles.

Research is the biggest priority to having fun with boost. Knowledge will aid you in maintaining it as well.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
it will go into 'limp mode' if the map measures positive pressure.
it needs to be chipped & tuned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts