Honda D Series Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
The engine was running just fine but not without fuel and wiring so I guess the answer is not yet. If I had had more time I would've rigged up a fuel supply and reconnected all the wiring. But it'll probably take me another couple full days of working on it before it's any use to have the engine running. Still would be nice to see it run though.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The next step

The next step I will be working on is welding in the roll cage/frame and getting a floor and seat in the car.
I'm not sure if I should buy a tubing bender and fab the cage entirely myself or if I should get someone else to bend it up for me. I can get a tubing bender for $160-ish or I can try to find someone to bend up three pieces/8 bends for me. I figure it would be cheaper to have someone bend it up for me but at the same time I'd hate to pass up the opportunity to get a new toy :p

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
So two seperate ECUs?

So what are you gonna do if ones spinning redline from losing traction and the other is still pulling at like 5k...?

My next build is going to be compound turbo.

Looking for a 500hp DD..

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
So two seperate ECUs?

So what are you gonna do if ones spinning redline from losing traction and the other is still pulling at like 5k...?
/QUOTE]

Traction control, but honestly that point is so far down the road that I haven't gone into much detail about how to do it. I'll probably borrow a system from some car that's relatively similar in terms of weight, wheel/tire size, wheelbase, etc.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
This is awesome

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
This is forking amazing; and clean off weld areas when you can. You'll get stronger welds/better penetration (heh) and less porosity in the weld itself. I mean "grind away paint/crap before welding" is all.

Otherwise... kick ass! Are you going to have 4-wheel steer? I don't recall seeing a post about it... but I know older Preludes had 4WS in the late 80s and 90s; but the rear only turned a few degrees, nothing over 10* I think.

Carry on!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
honestly i say just get the engine in the back and turbo that. i feel like it would be alot less complicated.

but it's your dream and the 2 engine would be sweet!
Initially it will just be a rear engine setup. Once I get all the kinks worked out with that I'll start on the twin engine setup. It will probably mean re-designing/fabricating some stuff but I think starting with just a rear engine setup is going to be easier.

This is forking amazing; and clean off weld areas when you can. You'll get stronger welds/better penetration (heh) and less porosity in the weld itself. I mean "grind away paint/crap before welding" is all.

Otherwise... kick ass! Are you going to have 4-wheel steer? I don't recall seeing a post about it... but I know older Preludes had 4WS in the late 80s and 90s; but the rear only turned a few degrees, nothing over 10* I think.

Carry on!
I will definitely be cleaning my welds better in the future, especially when I start welding stuff in permanently. I talked about it with some FSAE guys and while 4 wheel steering would be awesome but I'm not gonna try it on this build.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Thanks for all the positive replies and encouragement guys. It's a big project and sometimes I think I must be crazy/stupid to try this.

I'm not sure when my next update will be. I'm waiting on an estimate from a local performance shop about fabbing a roll cage for me. I would prefer to do it all myself, but if they can bend up the pieces for less than what it would cost for me to buy a tubing bender and dies then I'll have them do that and then I'll just weld it in.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
994 Posts
Subscribed!
Man this thing looks fun in for updates!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Finally got an estimate on the roll cage
Tubing - $500
Bends - $500
Notching and welding - $600

I think I could buy all the material, tools, and stuff (if I get cheap tools) to do this myself for about $1200 rather than paying someone $1600. It'll take a lot more labor obviously, but if I do another project like this (or make any changes to this one) I will just need materials. I like to DIY but for some reason I feel like I should just pay this guy to do it. Any thoughts?
I would only save a little money if I DIY but I'm not sure the amount of labor/time it would take would be worth it (time=money).

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
If you value your life. Id say let a professional build you the first one. This is not something you want to experiment with.
Its not like its going to save you a few 1000s. Its just a matter off a few 100s Id pay that for the added security of sitting inside a real cage. Trust me if she ever rolls you want to know the cage and the weld are up to the mark.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
that and sloppy weld dont pass tech. and your not allowed to grind any welds on a cage.

not to mention those prices are rediculous. you can buy a pre fabbed kit for alot less, have them weld it in.

hell i have a guy in town that would get me a legit rally cage for those prices and im talking the thing gussetted to f-in everything. how good of a welder are you?

101 - 120 of 141 Posts