Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,176 Posts
simply put in fewest words:

Gearboxes must be the same.

It is safer to have the more powerful engine in the rear (for oversteer) and it will make best use of the power.

Engines can be of different power levels. One will be assisting the other. No losses in power; no need for overzealous notions that they must be identical. its a farse. when one is putting out a bunch of power the other is helping it; and it will be running (tune-wise) as if it were going downhill.

Its been done. No worries.

As for the body; you will need something very sturdy and attached to the frame/unibody considerably if your rollcage is to be of any merit-able safety rating. If you planned on tubing the whole chassis, you would make the chassis, then weld the oem panels/skins over the new frame.

Im interested to see what you do to make up for the complete loss in structural support by removing the floor pans. The roof of a CRX isnt much support on its own.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,176 Posts
Someone did a twin engine Sol* forgot to add that one.

I think its on teamsolcal.com or on H-T.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Yesterday

Pics! I rented a 6'x12' trailer and towed the car up to my work. And yes, that is a 92 accord pulling it (I think I was just under the hitches rated capacity).

Blue car is the donor car

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I took pics as I was taking the engine out. So here is a visual walk through of what I did

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
it's in the crx!

Don't let the chain/hoist fool you, the engine bay only weighs maybe 40lbs.

Ended up setting it on top, and it was in almost the perfect position.

It's probably not very obvious in the pic but the curve of the wheel wells matched up pretty nice (just need to fill in the gaps).

Four tack welds are holding it in place for now, need a better welding setup though

This is my current welding setup, using gasless flux core wire. Unfortunately, it's making some nasty welds so tomorrow I will see about getting some gas.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
100 marks for determination.
Just a small suggestion.
If it was me. I would have started with first converting it to a rear wheel drive.
With a nice 400-500 BHP turbo setup.
After that was done. Id think about adding and hooking up the front motor.
With one powerful motor and one under powered motor in front. You will just land up burning out the front motor.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Doing anything like this without a MIG setup is a pain in the balls. You'll save so much time and frustration running .023" wire and C25 gas, though you may want to have some .035" wire for the thicker stuff.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
It's rolling!

It's been a long weekend but I made it. Had to have both cars out of the shop before Monday when we open. I wasn't sure I could do it, but sometimes it helps if you put yourself in a position where failure isn't an option.

Rolling out the donor car

I wasn't able to change my welding setup so I did the best I could with what I had. Welded the engine bay a bit more solidly, but it's still just a bunch of tack welds. Before I do more welding I will definitely need a better setup.

While I wanted to stick the engine in the rear, I just couldn't justify the extra work I would be making for myself since I would have to remove it next time I went to work on the car. So the engine is in the front and the CRX's front suspension got bolted into the rear.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

The rear is so light right now that with the engine in the front the car wanted to tip forward on the jack stands.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
All wheel steering anyone?

Put the steering wheel in, and tack welded the rear steering to keep it straight. Tossed some wheels on, set it down off the jack stands, and rolled it out in the lot. This car is so freaking light right now, it's a breeze to push, even uphill/over bumpy ground.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts