Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello d-series, I've been lurking for a few months and now I've decided to share my project with yall.

A couple years ago I wondered if anyone had made a car with two engines so I googled it and came up with these:
turbo twin engine hyundai
and somewhere someone put two of these in a mini cooper (couldn't find the link)
Hayabusa V8 engine
and of course the car and driver crx
Car Lust: Twin-Engine Honda CRX
I've always liked the crx and the idea of giving one twice the potential hp AND AWD to keep more of it stuck to the ground is well, lets just say my hearts beating a little faster just thinking about it.

So back in May I got the chance to buy a CRX. The poor thing was pretty beat up and abused so I got it cheap and thankfully won't feel as bad about tearing it up even more.
[ATTACH]32074._xfImport[/ATTACH]
The engine in the car was a ZC however it had thrown a rod due to lack of oil :(
[ATTACH]32078._xfImport[/ATTACH]
Here's a bit of the interior
[ATTACH]32075._xfImport[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]32076._xfImport[/ATTACH]
and then after working all night (I was way to excited to sleep) I got a good bit of trim removed
[ATTACH]32077._xfImport[/ATTACH]
This thing was a mess, however I found tons of change in the car (it's like a rebate with out the mail-in) and a bunch of tools (allen wrenches, box end wrenches, sockets, and a screwdriver). Also found two brand new rear brake rotors, exhaust gaskets, light bulbs, fuses and other odds and ends (at least 100 air rifle pellets).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for the picture whores
Something horribly wrong has happened here. . .
thrown rod.jpg
more damages
zc piston.jpg
working on getting the engine/trans out
clearing out the engine bay.jpg
rusty bumper
rear.jpg
sitting in the garage
0515120717a.jpg

·
Registered
831 Posts
woooo you got your self a full plate!

I had an idea about adding a 140hp electric motor for the rear... didnt have the $10k+ for the lithium batteries I wanted to keep it's weight reasonable.. not to mention everything else it was going to take... decided to tune a z6 for maximum HP and MPG's instead.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
iiiiinteresting. I've seen another dude put an accord engine in the rear and make a RWD crx. LOT of custom fab work but totally doable. good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
To elaborate a bit more on my plans for this car:
Tube frame/full roll cage
2 seater
Two engines
Front engine turbo/lightly modified (in the 200-300hp range) so as to make it relatively reliable and streetable/legal
Rear engine I plan on turbocharging and pushing as much hp out of as I possibly can on my budget, hopefully in the 600+hp range.
Maximum weight reduction
Replace glass with lexan/plexiglass
Gut door panels
Cut out every bit of excess material/replace with something lighter

Removing rear suspension
0613121352a.jpg
Removing front suspension/crossmembers
0801121612a.jpg
Doors, hood, and hatch off
0804121044.jpg
Removing glass
0804121640.jpg
One very bare little car
0806121648b.jpg

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I knew a guy up in the Seattle area (Malchite) who was attempting this with 2 a6/z6 motors, holsets and a whole lot of fabbing.

There was some issue with 2 manual trans. w/ shift both at the same time, do not remember if he ever figured it out though.

The build name was called the Double D CRX, but he had to stop and be a family man.

Love to see this happen.

Good luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Holy crap, that's gonna take some work! Good luck, and don't lose ur steam. Measure twice, cut once! Hehe!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope this thread doesn fall on its face like malachites thread did=(.......he was oh so close!
What happened with him? Is his thread still up somewhere?

I knew a guy up in the Seattle area (Malchite) who was attempting this with 2 a6/z6 motors, holsets and a whole lot of fabbing.

There was some issue with 2 manual trans. w/ shift both at the same time, do not remember if he ever figured it out though.

The build name was called the Double D CRX, but he had to stop and be a family man.

Love to see this happen.

Good luck.
I understand the family thing, I've got a wife and kid. I'm expecting this will take me a while and as long as I don't have to get rid of the car the project ain't dead! And yeah, I figure getting the shifting to work may get a bit tricky but I've got a whole lot more to do before that becomes an issue.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Not to be a dick or nothing, and props to you if it all goes as planned, but I think you need to plan a little more, and maybe figure out what you are doing before you have a cut up crx chassis.

This part has me worried:
"Front engine turbo/lightly modified (in the 200-300hp range) so as to make it relatively reliable but still easily streetable/legal
Rear engine I plan on turbocharging and pushing as much hp out of as I possibly can on my budget, hopefully in the 600+hp range."

I'll keep an eye on this for sure.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It was done with Minis years ago. Problems where clutch linkage synchronisation, gear shifts and throttle linkage synchronisation.

Different response rates front to rear can get tricky with mid corner acceleration.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to be a dick or nothing, and props to you if it all goes as planned, but I think you need to plan a little more, and maybe figure out what you are doing before you have a cut up crx chassis.

This part has me worried:
"Front engine turbo/lightly modified (in the 200-300hp range) so as to make it relatively reliable but still easily streetable/legal
Rear engine I plan on turbocharging and pushing as much hp out of as I possibly can on my budget, hopefully in the 600+hp range."

I'll keep an eye on this for sure.
At the moment I'm focusing on the chassis and figuring out how to do the rear. I'm expecting it to take me a while before it's ready for an engine that does anything but sit there to check placement/spacing. I've been reading lots of posts on different engine builds and at least for the front engine I'll probably just rehash what others have done that worked.

It was done with Minis years ago. Problems where clutch linkage synchronisation, gear shifts and throttle linkage synchronisation.

Different response rates front to rear can get tricky with mid corner acceleration.
Unless it ends up working out better than I hope it will only use both engines simultaneously for straight line accel/drag racing. Street and such will just be with one engine.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Just a thought and take it for what it's worth. For now how about you just do 2 stock engines, turbo them, get all the kinks worked out then build the engine up to you HP goal.

You don't won't to run out of money in the middle of your project and scrap everything.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Has anybody ever done a paddle shifter for a D series tranny?

It is always possible to rig up an air shifter on each tranny if you are creative and have access to a good machine shop.

I think hydraulic clutches would be easier.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Has anybody ever done a paddle shifter for a D series tranny?

It is always possible to rig up an air shifter on each tranny if you are creative and have access to a good machine shop.

I think hydraulic clutches would be easier.
I was thinking of two CRV cable shift b-series transmisions or Civic Wagon cable shift trans.

Then just make a shifting setup to tie both together.

If you do like the Tiburon post by the op, it used two auto trans.

During the gross display of HP the driver put the front trans in reverse, and the rear in forward gear and nailed the pedal for about 15sec. or so and there was barely any tires left.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I don't think a D series Honda Auto will stand up to anywhere near that level of abuse.

I think different length cables with different amounts of bends will be to difficult to synchronise so you have any chance of feeling the gears engage and there will be a real risk that one will not fully engage and it will jump out of gear at one end.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
hydro would definitely be easier, incompressable liquids dont take a lot of time to react and all you have to do is run some hose.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts