Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turbo z6 project coming along........ updated page 2

Here is a picture of my stupid turbo manifold. I guess it was designed for a d16a6 because on the z6 the wastegate hits the upper radiator hose housing:

Here is a picture of the flange I got....I love this thing because it is already cnc'd for 3 inch dp. It looks like I am going to have to port match it to the turbo because it is a little small.:

Here it is with the turbo mounted on the motor stand:

any questions about the setup just ask...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just cut the pipe and move it over a bit. then mig it back

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Word I am going to cut it off and weld a flange on the top of it...so the wastegate sits right on the manifold.

Im just trying to decide how to make the bolts fit. Maybe I will make them so they are like studs, that would be easiest.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
dohcvteccivic said:
Word I am going to cut it off and weld a flange on the top of it...so the wastegate sits right on the manifold.

Im just trying to decide how to make the bolts fit. Maybe I will make them so they are like studs, that would be easiest.
Just make sure when you cut it so it sits flush with the mani you can still close your hood... :grin:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is what I did, like it says here I hope it clears the hood. When I tighten it down it will go down maybe 1/8 of an inch, so fingers crossed.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure it will, my revhard mani on my b16a was about the same and I had one inch clearance under the hood. Unless somehow the z6 sits higher.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
dohcvteccivic said:
Pretty sure it will, my revhard mani on my b16a was about the same and I had one inch clearance under the hood. Unless somehow the z6 sits higher.
thats good to hear...i hope it clears the hood...i've never really been under it when it closes to know how much room there really is...lol

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would watch that manifold very carefully, those welds are severly undercut(not enough filler rod). Also the turbo being clocked at that angle **could** cause problems

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
bigwig said:
I would watch that manifold very carefully, those welds are severly undercut(not enough filler rod). Also the turbo being clocked at that angle **could** cause problems
i think that mani design is meant for the inlet/comp. housing to be on the radiator side...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the welds on the manifold are not the greatest. It is a very old revhard race mani. I really wish I could take and re-weld it, but alot of the reason for going back to d is the extra money I got from my b16a I bought a lincoln 3200 hd, a tank, a chop saw, a bench grinder and a bit of other extra stuff. I want to make a ramhorn style one soon.

As far as the way the turbo is sitting, I would like to know more of what your talking about.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
9295EJ-t said:
i think that mani design is meant for the inlet/comp. housing to be on the radiator side...
It won't fit, the turbo hits the block. I mean it is not even close. This is how my last setup was, with the DP on the a/c side. this way is better cause of the dp. I really wished it was that way I accidently put the turbo on like you said today, and that one bolt by the oil inlet is a MFPITA!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you picture the shaft of the turbo, it should go parallel to the ground or atleast very close. With the pictures shown, the shaft seems to be at an angle. Theoretically this can cause bearing issues and things of that nature. I just figured i would mention, but honestly dont think there is a whole lot to worry in this case. The undercut welds are more of my concern but if you are aware they could be problematic then thats the end of that.

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
i dont think that angle is bad enough to cause bearing failure..

have you tried clocking the turbo in different positions to get it to fit? just curious (im sure you have..)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bigwig said:
If you picture the shaft of the turbo, it should go parallel to the ground or atleast very close. With the pictures shown, the shaft seems to be at an angle. Theoretically this can cause bearing issues and things of that nature. I just figured i would mention, but honestly dont think there is a whole lot to worry in this case. The undercut welds are more of my concern but if you are aware they could be problematic then thats the end of that.
Oh o.k. I see what your getting at. It must be the camera angle, cause it sits pretty "square" to the ground Here is a clearance pict, image the exhaust housing sitting theother way. There is no way to clock the housing and it bolts on to the mani. Of course everything can be clocked from that point, but it wouldn't help.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope you did NOT lay any parts on that dirty floor then install them on your motor. that's once NASTY buildup area if your usig that to rebuild that honda motor.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nah it is perfectly clean dude. Seriously that was scrubed with industrial simple green not more than two days before. It is just really wierd concrete. It's like it stains really easy. Plus I'm a clean freak I sweep up at least once an hour. I don't like stepping on stuff.

Don't jump to conclusions when you really do not know.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts